What's new

Panasonic HD ready PT-47WX53 vs. Sony HD ready KP-46WT510 (1 Viewer)

Phil Monty

Auditioning
Does anyone have any opinion on these? I am a Sony enthusiast and all my components (DVD, VCR, Reciever, surround) are Sony. However, the 46" sony is only 40" High, so it appears as though a stand may/will be needed.

How is the Panasonic? Anyone have any idea how these two models compare?

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Phil

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Phil,

That Sony is a "table model" and does require a stand of some kind.

They're both good sets. Sonys generally require less service menu tweaking and are more consistent "out of the box" meaning there's less variation between different samples of the same model set.

You can get an excellent picture from either set, you won't have to work as hard to get it out of the Sony.

Phil Monty

Auditioning
Thanks for the input, Steve. I actually would prefer to have the sony, but the fact that it requires a stand kind of turns me off . . . and pushes it outside my budget. Why buy the 46" if you have to buy the stand? You can get the 51" for the same price as the 46" + stand.

Anyway, the Panasonic looks intriguing and seems to have most of the same features as the sony.

Thanks again.

Phil

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
Panasonic is very easily tweakable and has excellent picture quality. I think its a good value for the money with its features and performance.
Sony RPTV CRTs have had flicker problems in the past.

MikeBatt

Auditioning
I have the PT47wx53 and did minor tweaking and feel we have a good picture, mind you I do not have an HD source but the analogue and digital signals are good.

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
I've been very happy with that Panasonic model for the past month. Although I do plan on getting it calibrated once I've broken it in, the picture quality is stellar the majority of the time, especially on HD broadcasts. The built-in line doubler does a good job: DVDs look great, SD satellite TV looks fine. Can't speak for the Sony, but to me one of the big advantages of an RPTV is that it's freestanding, so one that requires a stand would be a big step down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks