What's new

Panasonic HD 53 inch problems (1 Viewer)

JasonDEN

Auditioning
I bought The Panasonic HD 53 inch monitor as an open box. I keep seeing a redish color on the bars for widescreen movies and also when I am on any of the videos and the sceen is blank because the dvd is not on, The screen is Maroon not black. It is a rear projection so I was wondering if the angle on how you look at it is the reason. When I look down at it like when I am standing up it doesn't seem as bad. I also thought maybe it was the cheap video ables I was using. So I went out to buy a DVI DVD player with the DVI cable. Same thing happens. It is still red on the bars and the movie screen you can tell the colors are off a little. Since it was an open box I was wondering if the previous owners could have messed with the service menu. Or perhaps banged it and something got thrown off inside. I have also messed with all the settings in the regular tv menu IE. color, tint, etc...
If anyone has had this problem or maybe know whats wrong I would so appreciate it. Thanks guys and gals.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jason, and welcome to HTF.

I moved your post to the appropriate area (Display Devices). The Home Theater Builder section is devoted to threads and discussions with the staff of the magazine about tests and stories they run.

Lance_H

Grip
ERRR...just posted a long reply and got rejected because I had a link in my post and have not posted 15 times yet. :frowning:

Anyway, I just bought a PT-53WX53 about 10 Days ago. It sounds like we have the same TV. It sounds like I had the same problem as you are having. I just exchanged my TV today since it was a new set. I am not sure if this is a option for you since you bought it used. Try a search for PT-53WX53 and you should find my problem. Also, go to panny.tv and search for "Evil Pop." I had a service Tech. come to my house and check out the set. It boiled down to three options for me.

1. Have the service tech. replace the red and blue CRT's.
2. Try the simple sounding fix that is on panny.tv.
3. Exchange it.

As you can see I went with option #3. I am not sure what your options are since you bought it as an "opened box." Did you buy a service plan? If so, I would contact a service tech. if you cannot exchange it. If not you can try the fix that is on panny.tv. Let me know if you try the fix. I would like to find out how simple it really is.

Also, pick up a copy of DVE and try adjusting your set. This helped some on mine but if a scene in a movie had a lot of red it looked very bad. When I was setting colors with the DVE DVD, the greens were WAY off. I could not compensate for the high level of red and blue the set had using the user settings. Good luck, please keep me informed of what happens for you.

Thanks,
Lance

JasonDEN

Auditioning
I have a service plan. I am going to have a tech come and look at it. Hopefully I will get to exchange it for a new one since I didn't get the remote with it either.

Where can I purchase this DVD disk that tests color and settings?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like the evil pop of pannys past. I have a panny PT47WX49, which I had an almost identical problem happen to it last year. Go to www.panny.tv and there are lots of things you can do to fix that. Michael TLV on here is also very knowledgeable about the pannys.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
perhaps the evil pop, perhaps not the evil pop.

Sounds like simple convergence error (the red on the 2.35 bars) and then either your g2 voltage is too high on red or your red cut parameter is too high. If the red in black is on both 480p and 1080i, the Id guess the second option. A knowledgeable service tech or ISF tech (full service guy) will be able to take care of either. Most service techs will not adjust the red cut controls but rather turn down the g2 voltage control

regards

Gregg

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Gregg; I consider myself pretty knowledgeable(SP) about things, but you lost my on some of that:)

Brent

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
From what I have look at through the above link is this "Evil Pop" just a grey scale/ black adjustment??

TomHansen

Agent
Sounds like your red is set too high. Info at panny.tv will help you get in and adjust your Red. A basic calibration from an ISF certified tech would be able to correct that, and shouldn't cost too much just to fix that problem.

Be careful inside the service menus though. You could mess up a lot of things. Make sure you write down all settings before you change them! I have the exact same TV, so if you need any assistance, please PM me.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks