What's new

Panasonic GameCube will not support progressive either (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
First of all, I wasn't saying that you needed my approval and you took what I said totally wrong.
Let me say it this way: if you watch movies, you are not necessarily a movie buff. Same thing for games. You might play them, but that doesn't make you a gamer. If you are buying a console because you are a gamer, then you wouldn't buy it because it plays DVDs. People who are DVD fanatics would buy a prog. scan DVD player over a regular DVD player, but people who know nothing about DVDs could care less. It works the same with games.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I actually agree with Morgan's assessment. No "hardcore" gamer would make the ability of a console to play DVDs the determining factor.
When it became known that the XBOX would not support progressive DVD playback it never even crossed my mind to not buy it or switch to a different system. I didn't care. Just like I didn't care that the PSX played CDs or the PS2 DVDs.
OTOH, I guess I could see someone using DVD ability as a factor if they truly view both system's games line-ups as equally strong....but given the massive disparity between the types of games on each system, I find that scenario highly unlikely.
Also, I can see money being an issue. Maybe some people can't afford both a console and DVD player. But this also seems unlikely since you would have had to have invested in an expensive TV (compared to the cost of a console or DVD player) to even enjoy the benefits of progressive scan. Which means you likely have the $250 to spend on a separate prog scan DVD player, or you're spending above your means anyway.
Although, I am surprised at the Panasonic player not having prog scan...since it's DVD player ability is the very reason for it's existence.
Aaron
[Edited last by Aaron Copeland on October 08, 2001 at 07:46 PM]

Gary King

Second Unit
You might play them, but that doesn't make you a gamer. If you are buying a console because you are a gamer, then you wouldn't buy it because it plays DVDs
So, by your logic, no fiscally conscious gamers are movie lovers (and yes, that is your logic - you can go through an entire derivation if you like, but that is the mathematical result).
When you build up an entire system of beliefs around such a flawed premise, it's easy to see why you have so few supporters in the forums.
And while we're at it -- let's ban chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. Because if you're a cookie lover, you should obviously be eating chocoloate chip cookies, and if you're an ice cream lover, you should be eating ice cream. And if you love both, buy one of each.

Gary King

Second Unit
Maybe some people can't afford both a console and DVD player. But this also seems unlikely since you would have had to have invested in an expensive TV (compared to the cost of a console or DVD player) to even enjoy the benefits of progressive scan. Which means you likely have the $250 to spend on a separate prog scan DVD player anyway, or you're spending above your means anyway.
This isn't really the case at all.
Just because you have a $1000 TV doesn't mean you can just go and drop another $300-400 on a decent progressive DVD player.
It's easy to afford pretty nice things if you keep track of your finances and watch out for good deals (or know how to negotiate with friends/salesmen) - I built my home theater over a period of several years, watching for good deals, planning how much I wanted to spend, and upgrading when prudent. It's certainly not the best system money can buy, but it's a pretty nice configuration, and includes HD capability.
While I still greatly anticipate the Xbox, I was disappointed when progressive DVD was cancelled. I had planned on using the Xbox as my primary DVD player once I upgraded to HD, due to a number of factors (additional cost, lack of wideband component inputs, etc.). The Xbox certainly wouldn't be my permanent DVD player (I eventually want to put together an nForce-based HTPC), but I was hoping to get some progressive DVD goodness Nov 15. Now I'm debating whether an HDTV decoder or an HTPC will be my next upgrade.

James D S

Screenwriter
Is the sillyness contagious? This requires further observation...
You know, there is a Chinese form of torture where idiocy is repeated for a long period of time to the point where the receiver starts to believe it and subsequently goes insane. We call it CNN, but the method did in fact originate with the Chinese.
Gary,
Nice cookie/ice cream analogy. It's right on the head.
[Edited last by James D S on October 08, 2001 at 10:31 PM]

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see nothings changed the few days I was away.
Not everyone who buys a game system is a "hardcore gamer", not everyone on this forum is a "hardcore gamer", the majority of systems do not sell to "hardcore gamers", DVD functions are not put into a machine for "hardcore gamers".
If certain bonuses on a system are a deciding factor for people, so what?!?!
Certain people (no names) are putting down a perfectly good GAME system because it can play DVDs? Are you more "hardcore" because of this?
The only way this would be an issue is if the XBox or PS2 was less of a game system because it included DVD.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
All of this ridiculous argument completely ignores the fact that many people have their progressive component inputs maxed out at 2....1 for a Hi-Def receiver, and one for a DVD player or a convergence box that can play DVDs and games. If you aren't living off of someone's teat, you may not be able to drop an extra $500 just so you can buy a decent component switchbox to make room for an HD game console.
Microsoft knew this quite well, and did the right thing.
Then they ran into a legal issue.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you like movies, that doesn't mean you like DVDs. If you like DVDs and are a gamer, then you should buy a PS2 or XB because they both play DVDs and games. If you are serious about DVDs though, you probably already have a progressive player and don't need another one. I'm not saying you should buy a DVD player separate from a console, but you shouldn't buy a console because its a DVD player if you are a gamer (unless you don't have much money and like DVDs).
The only way this would be an issue is if the XBox or PS2 was less of a game system because it included DVD.
XB doesn't include DVD, PS2 does.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Wow, I think some folks need to calm down. This should be a simple calm discussion about games. We should all try to stay away from attacks on each other. To that end I know Morgan disagrees with a lot of you but man, he seems to take a beating in these threads. If we all treat each other with more respect then maybe there will be less arguements and more game talk. Of course this is just my opinion.
-Andre F
------------------
-= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-
[Edited last by Andre F on October 09, 2001 at 05:10 PM]

Bill Arthur

Auditioning
I think the mods should censor the words "Hardcore Gamer" so it reads ******** ***** cause that term is just dumb. I understand that some people really love their videogames, but I really like lots of stuff, and it doesn't make me a hardcore web surfer, or a hardcore cheeseburger eater... sorry for the off topic post, but 80% of this thread was OT. For what it's worth, i don't even know what progressive scan is, but if it's a deciding factor for you personally, then you will make the decision that is right for you... don't try to generalize all game players as "hardcore" and "Non-hardcore"...
bill

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Some people are into DVDs so much that they will buy DVDs solely because they are DVDs. Those are hardcore DVD fans. Same thing for gamers.
I don't see whats so hard about understanding what a "hardcore" gamer is. Its mainly a term that is used to separate the fanatics from everyone else.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Is it just me, or does it seem like most of the 'arguments' found on the video game boards are started by one particular member???
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

James D S

Screenwriter
Wasn't this thread like 7 pages long? :)
Dude, my super witty CNN bit got shown the door.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks