What's new

Panasonic G25 has been received. Break-in period? (1 Viewer)

evan631

Agent
Real Name
Evan
I have just received my G25, and so far so good.

People have mentioned a break in period for Plasmas; could someone elaborate?

Just a note... I was told the TV has NetFlix; but just found out Netflix will not be released to the TV until end of August. Oh well.

-Evan

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
great display!!

watch it for the first 125 hours in the THX mode (as you should always watch it in).

Try to avoid much 4x3 content and also news tickers during this time.

Enjoy!!

evan631

Agent
Real Name
Evan
Any particular settings you recommend for THX mode?

So far i am enjoying this display. It replaced my Samsung 46UNC6400 LED display. I just could not get used to the LED overprocessed look. The soap opera effect was horrible. And even with the 120hz...still plenty of blur.

I guess the LED technology just is not ready.

Thanks for the info!

-Evan

rpeppler

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy Peppler
I am curious to the answer to Evan's question as well. I just bought the VT25 Panasonic yesterday. We watched a bit of hd tv and a movie last all in THX mode. What settings is something I am curious as well including just how low contrast and brightness should be set to for the break in period. Sorry to hijack your thread a bit Evan. Best of luck with your set.

Randy

ZenAgain

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I just received a 46G25 last week. Great picture.

I'm just keeping in THX mode and avoiding any black bars and station logos for the 1st 100 hours or so.

Does anyone else with a G25 hear any buzz when bright white images are onscreen, when sound is very low or muted?

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I THINK Gregg recommended THX mode because it's more dim. Generally, you've wanted to use full screen content and keep contrast at a lower point.

This go around, and my last go around, I used a 1080p slide SD card, and just let the tv run non stop for the first 5 days. Gets it outta the way, then you can enjoy.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by ZenAgain

I just received a 46G25 last week. Great picture.

I'm just keeping in THX mode and avoiding any black bars and station logos for the 1st 100 hours or so.

Does anyone else with a G25 hear any buzz when bright white images are onscreen, when sound is very low or muted?

Just realized I miss the buzzing question. As an example, my 58" s2 was a little loud on the white screens when I fired it up yesterday AM. I also noticed some screen uniformity issues on some color slides. At the 30 hours mark, the buzzing had diminished and the screen uniformity is much better. This is my 3rd break in, and plasmas do really get better as they age a bit.

evan631

Agent
Real Name
Evan
No buzzing on mine...hrmm.

What is this issue of floating blacks mean? I see that mentioned a lot on the forums.

What do you guys do with the noise reduction options? Anyone use them?

Thanks

-Evan

ZenAgain

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Originally Posted by evan631

No buzzing on mine...hrmm.

So even on bright images, are there people who don't hear any buzzing when the set is muted?

I'm not sure if I am overly sensitive, or perhaps there is wide variance on these displays.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I think the buzzing is an issue with a new plasma. At least it was for me with my older model Panasonic. After running for a few days that all went away. I would just wait until you have run it for a days and see what happens to the buzz then.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I'm at 100 hours now. Generally, in my experience, there is always a little to be heard on very white screens, in a quiet room. This is usually worse when they are new. My buzz on a white slide now, is almost non existent, when the set was new, it was much louder. When watching normal TV, I don't hear anything.

evan631

Agent
Real Name
Evan
actually...now that i think about it...i dont hear the buzzing because i have my AC running! hehehe

I will look into it.

btw...found an interesting post. not sure if it was here or another forum, but if you want to know how many hours you have on the TV try this:

1. Enter Service Menu (Hold Vol. - down on the TV while pressing the INFO button on the remote 3 times).
    2. Press the {2} button on the remote 1 time, to go to SRV-TOOL.
    3. Press the {OK} button. A blue grid will appear with the following information.
    TD2Mictocode: 81c00011
    Flash ROM: 1-227E
    PTCT :00.00.00.00.00
    4. Cursor down to the PTCT :00.00.00.00.00 line and then cursor over to the right to highlight the empty box.
    5. Press and hold the {MUTE} button on the remote for 3 seconds.
    The TIME / COUNT info will be displayed in Hours and Minutes of Operation.
    6. To exit, press and hold the {POWER} button on the TV for 2 seconds.
    The display will re-start by itself.

>
    The {VOL+} and {VOL -} buttons are used to change
    values in the Service Menu. Make sure not to touch
    those buttons anytime while checking the hours used.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
It's a handy trick. I checked mine Monday and had 98 hours. Not bad in 4.5 days :)

evan631

Agent
Real Name
Evan
Uh oh!

I now have a buzz on bright images....very upsetting and irritating!

I have read other posts on different sites that sometimes a new power supply will fix the problem. Other times it will not.

Being that it is related to a power supply, whats your thoughts on a clean power surge protector? Do you think that could help with the buzzing?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks