What's new

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes, 3D ready for the UB820 and UB9000. I played a couple FHD 3D Blu-ray discs on our UB820 and it works beautifully.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yeah, I think I am just gonna go with the 820 when it releases. The 820 vs 9000 is kinda like 203 vs 205 for me, I just dont need anything audio related.
That's my plan, too. I have an old Oppo 980H DVD player that plays SACD and DVD-Audio, and so does my Sony X800 UHD player. I just want something that has Dolby Vision support, top notch video quality for UHD, BD and DVD, and doesn't have any major bugs/issues.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
OMG, my engineering production UB9000 sample is in transit to me as I write this post! :dancing-banana-04:

If all goes as promised by the carrier I'll receive the player this Wednesday!

We established a very compelling launch price, $999, double boxed and delivered Nationwide. The UB820 is $499 and is scheduled to arrive the end of next week.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I already spewed my unhappiness in another forum (which Robert kindly replied to, thank you) but for those here in HTF...

Unbelievably, the Panasonic UB820 is being released for sale without Dolby Vision support (yet). The support is promised for October or sooner but Robert still hasn't gotten Panasonic to officially confirm that it will support the low latency Dolby Vision profile (DV profile 5) that is needed for Sony's X1 series of high-end TVs. Robert seems confident that profile 5 support *is* coming, but we still don't have anything official.

It boggles my mind that a company is willing to release a new 4K player 7 months into 2018 and NOT already have DV support onboard at the time of release. Apple solved the issue with the Apple TV 4K in less than 2 weeks. Granted, Apple's engineers were probably already working on the update but, still, Panasonic has had MONTHS. Heck, the initial player design probably dates back to sometime in 2017 if not earlier. How on earth can it take so long for something so obviously necessary to compete in today's market?

Mark

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm with you, Mark. I have no intention of buying another player until it actually has Dolby Vision support, and not just a promise for that support in the future with a firmware update. I already have a quality UHD player that lacks DV support (Sony X800) -- I don't need another one.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Apple was amazing getting Dolby Vision HDR profile 5 updated so quickly. However, one item to consider is that Apple TV is limited to streaming and it's the disc playback that takes more engineering and a diligent approval process from Dolby Labs.

I am 100% confident we'll see the Dolby Vision update and very optimistic that it will include profile 5, low latency protocol.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Very busy day at Value Electronics!

We received our 1st allocation of Panasonic UB820 BD players and double boxed and shipped all of our clients pre-orders.

38037015_10156307279308445_5804066061892452352_n.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@Robert_Zohn , forgive me if this has been addressed. How (and if) is playback on the UB820, downscaling UHD discs to 1080p, for those of us who still have 1080 displays, waiting for OLED to come down a bit more, but would like to start collecting some UHD discs?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

While we wait for Dolby Vision to actually be supported by the UB820 (it boggles my mind that every article I read, including information on Value Electronic's site, suggests it ALREADY supports Dolby Vision when, in fact, it doesn't... yet), please comment on how "quick" it feels with regard to loading streaming apps and general movement from menu to menu. To me, my DMP-U900 seems kinda slow in that regard. Too slow.

Mark

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Mine is scheduled for delivery today, and I'm looking forward to taking for a test drive this weekend.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
@Mark Booth, first and foremost thanks for your comment about my UB820 web page not clearly stating "Dolby Vision HDR" requires a future update. We had it listed in a disclaimer at the bottom of the page in small text and after reading your post I immediately updated the UB820 page and moved the disclaimer directly under the Dolby Vision HDR feature listing.

In regard to the speed of the app navigation I agree it's not as fast as I'd like. I passed my comment onto the engineers and requested any help they can provide with the next firmware update to speed up the Smart navigation. BTW, at launch we only have Netflix streaming in addition to several special interest apps. Many more apps will be added shortly.

Most importantly, this is an excellent BD player with the very valuable and exclusive HDR Optimizer feature. Panasonic UB820 HDR Optimizer is the only way to properly tone map HDR10 to match your TV or projector's peak luminance capability.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I absolutely plan to purchase a UB820 or UB9000. If the UB820 already supported Dolby Vision (and profile 5) you would already have my money. I've got an Apple TV 4K for streaming apps and It's unlikely I'd use the Panasonic for such purposes, I was just curious if it was snail slow like my current U900. Disappointing that it apparently is but definitely not a deal breaker.

Mark

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Panasonic engineers have confirmed to me personally the UB820 and UB9000 will support Dolby Vision Profile 5 w/low latency protocol. You will love the HDR Optimizer feature, which BTW, is only active with HDR10 content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks