panasonic F65 paired with Infocus 4800. Which to use for deinyerlacing?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RaphaelZ, Mar 19, 2005.

1. RaphaelZ

RaphaelZ Agent

Hi,I also posted on A/V sources forum. Not sure which area is better.

I'm using my Panasonic 5-disk progressive scan player (F65) with my Infocus SP4800 projector. Which one does better deinterlacing?

1) I can hook up the component output of the player to the s-video input of the projector (adapter), sending a 480i signal, and allow the projector's Faroudja chip to deinterlace.

or

2) I can hook up the same component output to the VGA input on the projector (adapter) and send a 480p signal from the player allowing IT to do the deinterlacing.

I'm having trouble figuring out which is better becasue I can't do a side by side comparison. I need to switch the connection and then compare. They both look good, but I have more adjustment options with the 480i input. Any advice would be nice. Does the projector actually turn the 480i into 480p with the deinterlacer?

Cheers.
    [​IMG]

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Raphael, I went thru the same thing with my X1 projector. I tried it both ways, and saw that the X1's Faroudja de-interlacer gave me a better picture using the S-video/component adapter on X1. It also gives me more tweaking options. Just try both inputs with the same DVD. And yes, the projector converts the signal from 480i to 480p.

3. RaphaelZ

RaphaelZ Agent

Thanks for the reply,

Thats exactly what i did. It was hard to compare because the presets don't look the same with each input so I had to do some calibrating (THX)with both connections. In the end its pretty hard to tell the difference but I do like the flexibility of the s-video/component connection. I also think it gives me just a little better blacks and colors. Worst case scenario it's at least as good as the progressive input from my DVD player. Thanks again.