Panasonic E50 users

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rob Mac, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Rob Mac

Rob Mac Stunt Coordinator

Rob
    The Panasonic E50 has an edit function where a commercial or unwanted segment can be erased on a DVD-r. Has anyone tried this function? After disc is finalized, does the program play skipping the erased bits seamlessly? Also, exactly how bad does a program recorded at 3-4 hour speeds look? If you were dubbing a laserdisc that was between 2 and 3 hours long, using Flex Record, at what length would you be pushing it quality wise?

2. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    AFAIK, you cannot edit DVD-R, only DVD-RAM.

The picture quality dropps off noticably after 3 hours, at least to my eye.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I believe the resolution on the Panasonic recorders drops noticably at around 2:20 using flexible record.

4. Rob Mac

Rob Mac Stunt Coordinator

Rob
    Thanks for the quality info. If a DVD-R can not be erased, why does my manual say DVD-R AND RAM can be erased fully or in segments and that only the DVD-RAM can be re-recorded on. The DVD-R recording space is lost when it is erased. Has anyone actually tried to erase part of a DVD-R? If you do, let me know how another dvd player plays over the erased bits. Note: DVD-R can only be erased BEFORE finalizing disc.

5. Rob Bournemouth

Rob Bournemouth Auditioning

The E50 will only allow you to erase an entire recording on a DVD-R disc, you cannot edit parts of a recording out. See page 42 and 44 of the instruction manual.