1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Panasonic E50 users

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rob Mac, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Rob Mac

Rob Mac Stunt Coordinator

Rob
    The Panasonic E50 has an edit function where a commercial or unwanted segment can be erased on a DVD-r. Has anyone tried this function? After disc is finalized, does the program play skipping the erased bits seamlessly? Also, exactly how bad does a program recorded at 3-4 hour speeds look? If you were dubbing a laserdisc that was between 2 and 3 hours long, using Flex Record, at what length would you be pushing it quality wise?

2. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    AFAIK, you cannot edit DVD-R, only DVD-RAM.

The picture quality dropps off noticably after 3 hours, at least to my eye.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I believe the resolution on the Panasonic recorders drops noticably at around 2:20 using flexible record.

4. Rob Mac

Rob Mac Stunt Coordinator

Rob
    Thanks for the quality info. If a DVD-R can not be erased, why does my manual say DVD-R AND RAM can be erased fully or in segments and that only the DVD-RAM can be re-recorded on. The DVD-R recording space is lost when it is erased. Has anyone actually tried to erase part of a DVD-R? If you do, let me know how another dvd player plays over the erased bits. Note: DVD-R can only be erased BEFORE finalizing disc.

5. Rob Bournemouth

Rob Bournemouth Auditioning

The E50 will only allow you to erase an entire recording on a DVD-R disc, you cannot edit parts of a recording out. See page 42 and 44 of the instruction manual.