Panasonic E-85 recovery mode

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DanHaya, Jun 3, 2004.

1. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

Last night, I was editing out the commercials from Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals on my E-85. I was attempting to divide the local postgame segment when the unit appeared to freeze up. After about 30 minutes, I figured that something was wrong and unplugged the unit. When I plugged it back in, it went into recovery mode and the words "Self Check" appear on the front display. It was still going this morning when I left for work, more than 8 hours after it started.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I haven't tried calling Panasonic yet...I was just curious if anyone else here on HTF has had the same problem with this or any other model.

I sure hope this isn't a serious problem because I have the whole Stanley Cup Finals series saved on that hard drive...and as a huge Lightning fan, I don't wanna lose it!

--Dan

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I have the E80, but I've never seen it go into recovery mode under circumstances like the ones you've described.

How long did you leave it unplugged? I would try it again, but leave it unplugged for a good 15 minutes. And if that doesn't work, then I guess the only recourse to call Panasonic.

M.

3. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

Yeah, I tried leaving it unplugged for several hours and then plugging it back in. It didn't help. I called Panasonic and they told me to take it back to Best Buy for repair. I'm probably going to lose everything I had recorded (most of the NHL Eastern Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Finals), which I'm not happy about. I guess I got a lemon.

--Dan

4. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    I don't have this unit (or any DVD recorder) but I saw a comment from someone at Amazon in which if there's a sudden loss of power, the unit goes into some sort of stopped mode and you need to hold the power button down for 10 seconds to reset it. I don't know if that's what happened to you but you might want to check out the second user's comment on this page just in case:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=22ADIWBVR2NRU

5. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

Thanks for the tip, Marvin! I will go home and try that tonight. Hopefully, that will solve the problem, but I am not holding my breath. Wish me luck!

6. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    OK, good luck.

May the force be with you???

7. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

Unfortunately, that didn't solve my issue. I'm still going to have to take it in for service. Thanks for all the help, though!

--Dan