Panasonic DVD-XP30: Can't get progressive-scan output

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Lovern, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern Agent

My Panasonic DVD-XP30 progressive-scan DVD player arrived today. I haven't been able to get progressive-scan output from it.

It works fine with composite output (interlaced).

The component cables work fine with my old progressive-scan DVD player (Toshiba SD-4700) on the same TV, so it isn't a problem with the cables or the TV.

In the setup menu I have set "Progressive Out" to Enable.

Page 9 of the manual shows a menu choice I have not been able to find. In the section of page 9 titled "Enjoying progressive video", it describes pressing Display to display unit information, then navigating to the picture menu, then selecting "480P". Nothing happens when I press "Display" on the remote, and I have not been able to find any menu choices that look like the ones shown in that section, either on the TV screen or on the unit's LCD display.

On the Unit's LCD display, there is no "PROG. OUT" indicator lit as shown in that section of page 9.

Any idea whether I'm I doing something wrong, or if there a problem with the unit?

Thanks,

Greg

2. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

Greg,
    From what I've read there are two places in the menu that need to be enabled to get the progressive scan actually turned on in the XP30.

3. JonathonSan

JonathonSan Stunt Coordinator

You can go into the setup menu under the Disply tab(I think thats what it is called) and set it up for 16:9 and progressive out. You also have to press the progressive out button on the front of the unit(at least if it's like the RP82 and CP72). The display menu, by the way, is actually accessed through the last menu(or display bar) pop up as you cycle through the three while pressing display. On the last menu, highlight the first box(I think it highlghts by default) and press up or down to cycle through additional menus. Hope this helps.

4. Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern Agent

Okay, I figured out the problem. The Display button only works when a DVD is playing. I had tried it both with no DVD, and with a DVD sitting on the disc's main menu. But the Display button doesn't work with a DVD sitting on its main menu, instead the DVD has to be actually playing, then the Display button works.

It's working fine now in progressive mode, and looks noticably better than the Toshiba SD-4700. Haven't had a chance to try it on non-flagged sources, which was a weakness of the SD-4700 and per the Secrets roundup is a strength of the XP30.

Greg

5. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I have a CP72 and it does a similar thing. It's really goofy and I can't think why Panasonic designed it that way. A single button on the remote to make the switch would be nice. I wonder how many people are using Panasonics right now with the "Enabled" menu set to on, and the second menu not clicked over. A green light on the front of mine comes on when it's in progressive scan mode.