Panasonic DVD setting question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gary Thomas, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

With the on-screen displays, under the User Mode settings...does anyone know what the heck the MPEG Digital Noise Reduction options do? There is the 3D-NR (0 to +4), Block NR (0 to +3), and Mosquito NR (0 to +3). The manual says they reduce / smooth noise. I would assume that the higher the setting, the less noise.

Do you use these settings?

2. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Gary,
    What model do you have? I don't recall seeing that in my options.

3. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

I've got a Panasonic DVD-CP72. I'm using the interlaced mode.

When you hit the "Display" button, a Disc Information menu pops up on the screen. I then hit the Display two more times to get to the Picture Menu. In the Picture Menu, I use the User Mode Settings, rather than the "Normal" or "Cinema" settings. Under the User Mode 2 there are three options to change the MPEG settings.

The settings I described are availabe when in the interlaced setting. Under the progressive setting, U2 allows you to select the transfer mode: Auto1, Auto2, Video.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Those MPEG settings are also available in progressive mode. The User3 settings for contrast, brightness and color are not available in progressive mode.

I also would like to know what those MPEG settings do.

I was playing The Godfather and noticed some "crawlydot" effect in early scenes on Brando's white shirt--sorta like little luminous dots flashing on and off in the white area. Turning the "mosquito noise" setting smoothed this out and seemed to eliminate the flashing dot effect.

I'd also be interested to know which progressive mode is best--Auto 1 or Auto 2? It's my understanding that Video locks out the 3/2 pulldown, and the auto settings let the player decide based on flagging on the disc or the player's own judgement. Which Auto setting have folks found to be most reliable?

Also, I just switched to the Panny from a JVC, and would like to know which discs best demo the supposedly better Faroudja chip?

5. Manuel Parrado

Manuel Parrado Stunt Coordinator

This thread on the AVS Forum will surely help clear up your questions on the transfer mode, at least.