What's new

Panasonic DVD-S77 and Samsung LN-S3251D settings questions (1 Viewer)

Bear with my newbiness here. I just got a new Samsung HDTV to replace my old Sony WEGA and after staring in awe at the HD images I get through my DirecTV HR10-250 for a few days, finally decided to watch a DVD last night (Chronicles of Narnia) and was less than impressed. Then this morning I found a whole world of settings on the DVD player that I didn't even know existed. Please help me set this up for optimal PQ. My TV can handle up to 1080i, but is that better than 720p or just a subjective thing? I'm using HDMI to go direct from the DVD-S77 to my Samsung LN-S3251D. So....:

720p or 10801?
Picture Mode - Normal, Cinema1, Cinema2, Animation or Dynamic
Transfer Mode- AUto1, Auto 2 or Video
HDMI Color Space - RGB, YCbCr (4:4:4), YCbCr (4:2:2)

and for that matter, the Samsung offers different picture modes: Standard, Movie, Dynamic, Custom.

I realize alot of these choices may be subjective, but if that's the case, tell me what works best for you so I have a strting point to experiment. Oh yeah...DNR...available on both the TV and DVD player...on or off?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One thing you will want to do is pick up a copy of Digital Video Essentials or Avia to calibrate your set relative to the player.

If your TV is 720p native, then a 720p signal will likely be best.

Picture mode - that one only you can decide
Transfer mode - probably auto2, as that is what the player scored best with on the secrets review.
HDMI: 4:4:4 or 4:2:2, whichever looks better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks