Panasonic DVD-S75 (not direct replacement of RP-82 but has FLI2200)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by matt-f, Oct 5, 2003.

1. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Hi,

I just ordered the DVD-S75 which is a modded free version. It does have the FLI2200 and not sure if it is a direct replacement of the RP-82. Just wondering, does anyone happen to know what mpeg decoder is being used?

Thanks

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

That information is false. No current Panasonic models have a Faroudja chip or are a good replacment for the RP82. That model uses a Panasonic de-interlacer that is very weak compared to a Faroudja. If you question this just test it with the Video Essentials USA flag-waving scene, only Faroudja DCDi will eliminate the jaggies on the flag.

3. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

If you tried typing looking on search engines I am able to get results with dvd-s75 having the FLI2200. Seems like google and the company I ordered from are providing false information?

I'm going to open it myself to check this unit myself when it arrives so truth will be known. I will contact Panasonic sometime today when I get the chance.

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

You will need to check with an authoritative source, and that doesn't mean panasonic. Maybe try to contact one of the guys from the Secrets shootout. Panasonic isn't any better because they told someone on this board that the xp30 and xp50 didn't have the FLI2200. Also, retailers websites are often wrong on specs. The best thing to do is check the unit yourself, but I wouldn't expect to find the 2200 in there.

5. Don_Berg

I checked the Panasonic UK website which has detailed info on the DVD-S75 and there is absolutely no mention of Faroudja. The price is way too low to have it and for them to make any money. Also the model appears to be the same as the DVD-S55 model in the USA and that definitely does not have Faroudja. Some retailers may claim it to get unsuspecting customers to buy it, don't be fooled!

The cheapest Faroudja-based DVD player in production now is the Mitsubishi DD-8040 for $250 discount retail price. You can tell if a DVD player doesn't have Faroudja if its less than $250 price new. Only the long discontinued Panasonic RP62 got under the $200 list price, and that made Panasonic lose money on it and so on later models they stopped using Faroudja in favor of a far cheaper (and lower de-interlacing quality) chipset.

6. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Ok thanks! I'll do some more research to see what I can find. Most likely still best if I open the unit up to find out for myself since a few people in the animeondvd forum mentioned about looking at the chips in it.

I've been to the shootout before, I'll try that out but I think they need to update it since it does say Jan 2003!. Luckily I do own a RP-82 at home so I guess there isn't too much of a loss. If it happends to be that way, I guess I may need to get a refund!! I'll keep in touch about what I find.

Add-on:
    About the S55, the specs are a bit different than the 75 because the 75 does have the coaxial while the 55 doesn't. I just foudn just now that this unit was released a few weeks ago as well.

Matt

7. Phil

Phil Stunt Coordinator

I just bought a demo model RP 62 from a Radio Shack in Toronto. Judging by the serial number not having a "B" in it, I believe it to have the Sage/Faroudja chip set in it. I probably won't keep it, so if a fellow HTF'er wants it, pm me in the next few days or so. By the way, because it was a display model it does have a cosmetic scratch on the top, but otherwise looks brand new. I have the original box, remote(never used), manual etc....

Ooops, nearly forgot. I paid $190 CDN for it. I do not want to make any money on the player and will provide copy of the receipt. Buyer to pay shipping.

Phil

8. Don_Berg

How much is that demo model RP62 in USA dollars?

9. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Using TD Canada Tust as reference.

tdcanadatrust.com , clicking on foreign exchange.

Looks like it's about 146 US.
    --

About the link about the S-75. I found them here.

203.163.64.107/panasonic/storefront/ProductDetail/default.asp?ProductId=649&CatId= (no www)

world-import.com/dvd-s75.htm (www in front)

sakurachan.org/diary/2003/05/ (www in front)

10. Don_Berg

That price is very high, I found a demo model of the RP62K recently at Fry's Electronics for $50. On EBAY they all sell for well under $100. The higher quality Panasonic XP30 sells for around $200 on EBAY - thats a better buy.

11. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Yup true. Oh that reminds me, there is a Fry's Electronics in WA, whcih I've been to. Unforunately I did not see an RP-56 there. I do also have an RP-56 myself and it isn't the B version since they never existed at the time I got it(free with TV).

Regarding the price, yeah it's pricey but back at the time when the exchange was 1.5 or 1.6, it's about somewhere in the 120US +/- dollars.

12. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

13. Don_Berg

Don't you watch any of the extras/documentaries on most DVDs? They are all in video mode.

14. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

No I don't, actually! (why am I always embarrassed to admit that?!) But still, that's hardly what I'd consider serious viewing so I really wouldn't care anyway.

15. Don_Berg

Surprising there are quite a few mainstream DVD movies that have improper flags that will cause combing or loss of resolution (softer image) on lesser DVD players. You many not know what you are missing on many titles unless you see it on a good Faroudja de-interlacer player like the Panasonic RP82, XP30, XP50, or Denon DVD-1600. The Faroudja ignores the flags and can properly de-interlace the material while flag-reading players will be unable to do 3:2 pulldown correctly on such titles.

16. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

I gotten the S75 player today. I guess it doesn't have the FLI at all, teh R3 modified one. I called the World import and they say it does (also gotten email response) and I told them I have looked at the video board. Now they claim that they took the original video board out and put their modded one in. Partially I don't believe they would actaully do that. I guess I can return it and demand a full refund because that's false advsetising.
    --
    However, unless the FLI it on the R2 units, then that's a different story since the link above links to a Japanese site which claims it there.

17. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Thinking about it. My R3 modified unit may not have it and the R2 does. Speaking on mirc, it I heard it is also possible that Panasonic might of changed the boards during a production run therefore, there can be a mix of both FLI and non FLI versions and there is a mix up. Stay tuned, when more information arrives.

18. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Don, I have not noticed combing or other artifacts on any movie DVD that I've put into my F85. I can readily see combing artifacts when my wife watches Sex In The City on DVD though.

I sell Panasonic and I've had every player at home, including the RP91 and RP82. For mainstream movie DVDs, the F85 is as good as any of them...except for the bloody chroma 'bug' that is!

19. Don_Berg

Then you have proved the inferiority of the newer Panasonic's poor deinterlacer with video-mode DVDs like "Sex in the City" - this is where the older Faroudja-based DVD players shine! There are also some movie DVDs that have poor flags that will have problems on the newer Panasonics too, try 101 Dalmations 2 for example.

20. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

I would say the best test for using the FLI is an anime! Since I am a major anime collector and do own a couple of series (no not bootleg, the legit R1s!), just putting a disc in shows it's colors just about instantly.