Panasonic DVD S55S or Pioneer DV563A.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jesse Sharrow, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

$70 diff in the price on amazon.com, wich I where I will buy them at. Which do you think is more worth the money. Will I be happy with the panasonic? I would like DVD-A and SACD, but if I have to have one I would rather DVD-A. My equipment in a 27" rca tv, yamaha RXV-440, and a pair of boston VR-950 towers. So I dont think I would notice a diff in a $100-$200 DVD player and a $1000 denon or Yamaha.

2. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Jesse, I would say neither on both of these and go out and get a Onkyo SP301. I had a Panny RP62 with the Faroudja and also bought and tested the Pioneer 563a, and after I bought the Onkyo I returned the Pioneer and now using the Panny as a backup. The Onkyo is a spectacular player especially for the price of around $150. Give it a try I promise you won't be dissapointed.

3. Greg Walker

Greg Walker Stunt Coordinator

I am using a 27" Panasonic GAOO TV with the S55S and I couldn't be happier with the picture. I don't use the DVD-A a whole lot, but I find the internal DD and DTS decoders work very well. In fact, I now play all of my DVDs through the analog outputs and let the DVD player do all of the decoding.

I am not familiar with the Pioneer, so I can not comment on it.

4. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Another vote for the Onkyo...it's down to $99 at JandR.com.

I compared it to the Pioneer 563,Panasonic S25,jvc bk50 and Toshiba 4900.