Panasonic DVD-S55S or Pioneer DV-563A

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Elmo, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Elmo

Elmo Extra

which is better of the 2 for audio or video? assuming i can get for same price?

thanks

2. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

The Panasonic comes with its 'built in' very visible chroma bug. Pioneer doesn't have chroma bug.

I own the Pioneer and I still hate it.

3. Elmo

Elmo Extra

i dont get it it you say the pany has the chroma bug but not the pie but you hate the pioneer??

does the pioneer have a built in dts decoder?

4. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

The pie has built-in DTS decoder (supposedly; I never persoanlly checked it.

Pioneer is the better from the two, but I still don't like the PQ of the Pioneer. I just use it to play DVD-R. I use a separate prog. scan player for factory discs (Pana RP-56, Faroudja based de-interlacer)

5. Luke_Lemmings

Luke_Lemmings Stunt Coordinator

At the price range these two players are at you're not going to get a "flawless" player. There will always be issues like the chroma bug, less then optimal audio, flickering, etc...

It all depends on what you feel is better. You might not notice the chroma bug so in your mind the panasonic might be a great player. Someone else might see it and feels it's a piece of crap.

In my opinion the pioneer would be the better player between the two. Better picture quality and the added bonus of handling SACD. Audio is a bit lacking on this player however but still in the same league as the panasonic you are referencing. If you want better audio then you'll have to move up to other players. There are many other players out there which are better and superior to these but of course you'll be paying for it.

6. Elmo

Elmo Extra

my main criteria is to have a built in dts decoder. Also i won't be using the progressive mode as of yet but in the future if i get a prog ready tv.

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Personally, I think the Pioneer engineers built the 563 mainly for audio playback--the progessive scan & other special video features just happened to be "on the chip". Why? Because they know you can buy one of their video-only players at Wal-Mart for $88 (with its nice rounded front it actually looks better than the 563). I'll bet if dvd-audio didn't have a video portion this player wouldn't have any video circuitry at all.

LJ