What's new

Panasonic DVD-RV31 dead - repair or replace? (1 Viewer)

Brett_H

Second Unit
All,

After a little over a year of faithful service, my Panasonic RV31 has died on me. I managed to open it up and retrieve my DVD, luckily, but I'm not quite sure what to do from here. It's out of warranty, of course. Here's the problem: it began making a nasty noise tonight, then I tried to eject the disc but it wouldn't open. Now, it won't do anything other than make this noise:
Link Removed

(I apologize for the bad quality, it was done with my laptop's built-in mic)

I can see the little white gear spinning under the tray, and the whole tray mechanism is vibrating pretty badly. I found the parts list for this by going to
Link Removed
and entering "DVDRV31" in the "search by model" field. Anyone care to guess what's wrong and if it could be replaced pretty easily?

If not, should I bother taking it in, knowing that it cost me around $130 new? Maybe I should just buy a cheapie for now until I eventually buy a progressive scan one (after making the move to HDTV in a couple years)?

Thoughts, help, advice appreciated.

Thanks,
-Brett.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brett, I would simply go out and buy a new player. You can get a new model that is as good or better than the 'RV31 for under $200. I feel it is hardly worth spending money to fix your player. For $200, you could get something like the Pioneer DV-656A, which plays DVD-Audio discs. You could get the Panasonic DVD-CP72 DVD-Audio changer for similar money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks