What's new

Panasonic DVD-RP91 (1 Viewer)

CarlosPA

Auditioning
Is this a good player to buy overall? I am considering purchasing it from Crutchfield for 399.00. I am currently upgrading from an old Sony DVP-S500D I purchased in 1998 or 1999. I cannot remember when. I want to have DTS capability. I currently upgraded from my old Yamaha RXV-890 Pro-logic receiver to a Denon AVR-3802.

Is the Panasonic DVD-RP91 good for me?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
:b

MikeSRC

Second Unit
What size display will you be using it with? The RP-91 is a very good player, but its deinterlacing ability is somewhat outdated. With a larger screen (42"+) you may notice some motion artifacts and combing. However, it has well respected auto scaling of non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs and good build quality. It used to sell for $800, but you can find it for under $300 now as it's being discontinued.

Joe Reed

Stunt Coordinator
Carlos, I have a rp-91 with limited use I bought it from onecall in Feb. that I am selling for $265, if you want to make a deal let me know.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I got a brand new RP91 from www.newegg.com for $289 shipped. They only have the Champaign (Gold) color, but I really like the way it looks and it doesn't clash w/ my black components if I put it on a seperate shelf. The PQ is great and the scaling features really come in handy since my 47" widescreen Panasonic RPTV locks into full mode on any progressive signal. The RP91 lets me scale non-anamorphic and 4:3 DVDs for viewing that's nearly as good as anamorphic. I would go w/ the RP91 for sure. The other players in the price range don't compare, and the Denon 2900 is the next real step up I would consider.

Hope this helps :)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
steven..what about audio on it? That is my only concern...that is why I am leaning toward a denon 1600 or 2900...whatcha think?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks