Panasonic DVD-RP82

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Adam_mmm, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Adam_mmm

Adam_mmm Agent

I have heard many good things about this dvd player and was curious if it has the best price/pc quality ratio. If that is the case i will definitely be purchasing it, however I was concerned it would not play dvd+r or dvd-r being that I back up numerous dvd's. please advise

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

3. Adam_mmm

Adam_mmm Agent

why did they discontinue it

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The Panasonic RP82 and the same designed XP30,XP50 models play all types of DVD recordable (-R/-RW/+R/+RW) even VCD/SVCD on CDR/RW. Panasonic couldn't afford to make these high quality expensive models and compete against the new lower-quality/cheap models from China, so last year they discontinued all of their models and came out with new cheap models without the good Faroudja de-interlacer. You can buy the good old models on EBAY, I recently bought a used XP30 for $200 and it works great with low hours! There are no new models in the under $300 range that come anywhere close, so EBAY is one of the only sources now, but I'd recommend it.

5. Steve_Cohen

Steve_Cohen Stunt Coordinator

As much as I like (or did like panasonic) as I own the 53wx42 and a panny vcr, in addition to the RP-82, my reccomendation would be to stay away. I have had the rp-82 for 8 months when it developed the "H02" error which many of the panasonic dvd players have this problem. Do a search on "H02" and you will see. While many will say that "I love panasonic and never had problems" the many different models of panny dvd players have this problem. I am currently fighting with panasonic to cover all costs of the repair. Wish me luck.

Try pioneer or JVC IMHO.