Panasonic DVD-RP82 Discontinued as of 1/1/2003

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_Collins, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Bob_Collins

Bob_Collins Extra

I have called Panasonic distribution, and spoken with someone in their Chicago area office, and was told that the RP82 was discontinued as of January 1, 2003. They are recommending the CP72 to those people wishing to get an RP82.
    They have NO RP82s available in the US, and according to the person I spoke to, there are no shipments of these units in transit either.
    Looks the only chance anyone has to get an RP82 would be to luck in that got returned after Christmas, or to find some obscure little dealer who was on their shelf.[​IMG]
    I read this over at the AVS forum, and found this to be interesting.

2. StaceyS

StaceyS Stunt Coordinator

CCS is on with the 1600 BUT Denon can send a disc to turn it off. They don't have a disc to turn it back on.

3. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

Bob - The Denon DVD-1600 is based on the Panny RP56 (with a superior MPEG decoder though). "Early" models had the CCS set to on. At some point last summer, Denon set the CCS to off and began shipping units that way. They also made a firmware fix available to those with models that had the CCS turned on. BTW, you may want to see if Denon announces anything this weekend at CES 2003. There has to be a replacement for the 1600 in the works since Panny has already replaced the RP56 with the RP62 and it looks like Panasonic is replacing that soon too. I would expect to see a DVD-1600 replacement based on the Panny RP82 for less than the 1600's price of $499.

4. Bob_Collins

Bob_Collins Extra

Everything I have read about the 1600 claims it to be based on the 82, not the 62. Which is correct?

5. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

It's actually based on the RP56, the 62's predecessor, but uses the MPEG decoder out of the RP91. The DVD-1600 was released lond before the RP82. Looking back at it now, it would probably be more accurate to say that the RP82 is based on the DVD-1600 since it uses the same FLI2200 chip and MPEG decoder. There are some items in the menus of the RP62 and RP82 that the DVD-1600 does not have because it was based on the RP56. Hope this helps.

6. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

Hmmm... double posted somehow - sorry!