Panasonic DVD Recorder - $399!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul O, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

Too bad I already have one [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...776466-7687209
    Had a list price of $3995 when it was introduced in 2000 - so i guess its cheap enough now. I love mine and with DVD RAM prices falling ($6 for 4.7GB) its a single player/recorder that will free up some room in your equipment rack. It's also a highly rated progressive scan player based on Panasonic's previous high end model (HC1000 - i think) . Darn, I think i just talked myself into buying another one.

2. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

Buy.Com seems to have the lowest non-sales price though ive seen some on sale at other sites lower. i've been using the Memorex double sided 9.4GB Type I cartridge which works fine.
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=32102&loc=101
    At $399 considering its also a high end Progressive Scan Player that's built like a tank you can't lose.

3. phat dinh

phat dinh Auditioning

wow!

4. Michael St. Clair

It's pretty cool if you don't need playback compatibility with a wide range of current machines.

If the DVD-Multi spec takes off, I expect to see more DVD-RAM players in the future.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It's a darn shame it doesn't play/record CD-Rs/CD-RWs.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I suspect that's why it's gotten so cheap, Patrick! [​IMG]

7. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    If anyone is interested in the Panasonic model that does DVD-Rs and DVD-RW here is a 589.95 link

8. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

The Pana-E20 will be ~$600 retail in the next few weeks as they start to clear them out. I was told my a manager at a major retailer to look for that price very soon.

9. Michael St. Clair

10. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

How about the Pioneer DVR-7000? Might we be seeing a price reduction on this model anytime soon? My local audio/video emporium will sell one for about $1600, but I'd sure like to get it even cheaper (without resorting to some un-authorized online dealer).

11. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Anyone looking to get the E10 should make sure to check their Amazon Gold Box specials on a regular basis. I just passed on a deal to get the Gold Box special price of $359.99 because I already have the E20. I was however very tempted.

12. Srinivas Reddy

One of the review says that it makes a lot of COASTERS (just like my HP CD Recorder(PC)).
    DVD Coasters ? - my coffee or beer wouldn't taste that good on it [​IMG]

13. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

14. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

I'm very tempted and have recieved spousal approval for this ... but I need info!

I've just started looking at DVD Recording and read that DVD-RAM media is encased in a special cartridge, and thus will not be playable on standard cheap DVD Players. I guess I'll have to go see the blanks and pricing for myself.

I think one of the main things I would use a DVD recorder for is home movies of kids, etc. (from Hi8) But what good is it if you can't play them at grandparents house? At $6 ea., the blanks are too expensive for routine TV recording. Which recorder/format whould I want to make cheapo DVD's for Grandmom, DVD-R? Is this only available via PC?

On the upside, $399 is not too much to pay for a high end prog machine, so I guess the recording is just a bonus. What else do you owners use this machine for primarily or love about it? decisions, decisions ...