What's new

Panasonic DVD Recorder - $399! (1 Viewer)

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad I already have one :)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...776466-7687209
Had a list price of $3995 when it was introduced in 2000 - so i guess its cheap enough now. I love mine and with DVD RAM prices falling ($6 for 4.7GB) its a single player/recorder that will free up some room in your equipment rack. It's also a highly rated progressive scan player based on Panasonic's previous high end model (HC1000 - i think) . Darn, I think i just talked myself into buying another one.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Paul,

That is tempting. If it is a good progressive player plus a recorder it seems like a bargain. Can you tell me some good sources for DVD-RAM blanks? I might have to order one....

Thanks,
Glenn

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
Buy.Com seems to have the lowest non-sales price though ive seen some on sale at other sites lower. i've been using the Memorex double sided 9.4GB Type I cartridge which works fine.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=32102&loc=101
At $399 considering its also a high end Progressive Scan Player that's built like a tank you can't lose.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty cool if you don't need playback compatibility with a wide range of current machines.

If the DVD-Multi spec takes off, I expect to see more DVD-RAM players in the future.

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
The Pana-E20 will be ~$600 retail in the next few weeks as they start to clear them out. I was told my a manager at a major retailer to look for that price very soon.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Pana-E20 will be ~$600 retail in the next few weeks as they start to clear them out.
And the replacement E30 with progressive output will cost more than that, but will be priced less than the E20 was originally.

It's getting to be a good time to get a recorder.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
How about the Pioneer DVR-7000? Might we be seeing a price reduction on this model anytime soon? My local audio/video emporium will sell one for about $1600, but I'd sure like to get it even cheaper (without resorting to some un-authorized online dealer).

Jay Blair

Second Unit
Anyone looking to get the E10 should make sure to check their Amazon Gold Box specials on a regular basis. I just passed on a deal to get the Gold Box special price of $359.99 because I already have the E20. I was however very tempted.

One of the review says that it makes a lot of COASTERS (just like my HP CD Recorder(PC)).
DVD Coasters ? - my coffee or beer wouldn't taste that good on it :D

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
If anyone is interested in the Panasonic model that does DVD-Rs and DVD-RW here is a 589.95 link
I was under the impression that the E-20 wasn't compatible with DVD-RW, only DVD-R and DVD-RAM. Can anyone here say for certain if the E-20 is in fact DVD-RW compatible and if you can use the same advanced editing featured with a DVD-RW disc that you can with a DVD-RAM disc on this unit?

-Lyle J.P.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I'm very tempted and have recieved spousal approval for this ... but I need info!

I've just started looking at DVD Recording and read that DVD-RAM media is encased in a special cartridge, and thus will not be playable on standard cheap DVD Players. I guess I'll have to go see the blanks and pricing for myself.

I think one of the main things I would use a DVD recorder for is home movies of kids, etc. (from Hi8) But what good is it if you can't play them at grandparents house? At $6 ea., the blanks are too expensive for routine TV recording. Which recorder/format whould I want to make cheapo DVD's for Grandmom, DVD-R? Is this only available via PC?

On the upside, $399 is not too much to pay for a high end prog machine, so I guess the recording is just a bonus. What else do you owners use this machine for primarily or love about it? decisions, decisions ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks