What's new

Panasonic DVD-RA60S (1 Viewer)

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
I have one hooked up to my parents' HT. It has pretty much the same video quality as the RP-56 (read: very good) but is interlaced only. I used the DVD=A functions with the two discs I own, STP: Core and Metallica: Metallica (the black album). I havn't heard these extensively on other DVD-A players, so I can only compare to the DD mixes. Needless to say, the DVD-A version sounded superior in just about every aspect.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I dunno if you will still be able to find them in the archives, but I know I had a review (it might not have been a well-written review, but it was still a review) and a bunch of other people did too.

If I have time later I'll try and find it.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Archives?
I thought this was a new player?
Looks like I'm out of touch:)
Please, if you find those threads let me know.
Much appreciated!
Of course anyone else wants to comment please do so.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Lewis,

yes it can. It even has a "audio only" button which completely disables the video circuitry (or at least the video output anyway, but I'm pretty sure it disables everything video as it wouldn't make sense just to disable the output)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, turning off the video circuitry and operating a DVD-Audio disc without the TV are two different things. You could start playing the disc via the on-screen menu and then turn off the video circuitry once the music starts. I think every DVD-Audio player available has this feature. However, some players are user friendly in that they allow you to play a DVD-Audio disc without even connecting the player to a TV. Panasonic's players fall into this category, as you can use the 'Group' button on the remote to change between stereo and multi-channel layers, and you can change tracks via the remote as well. My Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player operates this way, and I am almost certain the 'RA60 does as well. The problem is that not all discs are authored to allow easy operation without a TV. Queen A Night at the Opera is a good example. For that reason, keep a TV within a video cable's reach. :)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys,yes I was planning to run a composite line into my pre/pro just in case[it has a monitor out to the tv full time].Sounds like this will be my entry to the DVD-A world for @ $183.00 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks