Panasonic DVD player-problem need help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd_Brown, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

I have a 2 year old Panasonic A115U that is giving me fits. It will play brand new DVD's, no problem. The problem occurs with my older ones and its getting worse. If I put an opened DVD (perfect shape-no scratches, rot, etc...) the DVD will give the error message that it is the wrong type of disc and cannot play. This doesn't happen to every DVD, but it does happen now to most. If I open and close the drawer a few times, occasionally it will work. Any help is appreciated.
    Todd

2. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

3. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

Actually, the A115 is a stripped-down version of the A120 (no component output) and only sold at discount retail stores (Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, etc).
    However, those symptoms do not sound promising.
    -Mike
    ------------------
    .o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.
    void *: Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything
    .o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.

4. BrianO

BrianO Auditioning

I am having that same problem with my A120....there are only a couple of movies I can still watch. Almost everything I put in there results in a "NO PLAY" error. Like you, if I open and close the tray several times, it will occasionally read the disc. Not very often though.
    Anyway, I contacted Panasonic and they basically told me "tough sh*t".....its past the 12 month warranty period. In addition, they told me that this type of problem is not in their system as a commonly reported problem - which has to be a lie. Anyway, I guess I am in the market for a new player now.
    Good luck to you - I feel your pain.

5. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

There is a way to reset your player. I am unaware of the procedure, but I know others here know how. The factory service center would also know the procedure.

6. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Well I spoke with a Panasonic customer "service" rep. He said that even though the symptoms my player is having are exactly the same symptoms the 110 had, its "not the same problem". He further asked if I had had it repaired, I questioned why a 2 yr. old player should need repairing so soon, he had no answer other than giving me the location of authorized repair facilities. I guess I didn't know what I expected, but I can say this with certainty, tomorrow I am buying another unit, and it ain't gonna be Panasonic!!
    Todd
    ------------------