Panasonic DVD placment... On top of Onkyo 595? Ok? Bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Johnston, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Bill Johnston

Bill Johnston Stunt Coordinator

Ok... I set everything up yesterday... Now today i was looking through the manuals...

Right now I have the 595 on the bottom... then the DVD... then a shelf... Then a Digital Cable Box... Then a Sharp VCR...

The manual states NOT TO put the DVD on a Receiver due to the heat factor... Is this true?

If so... would it be better to leave the onkyo on the bottom... put the cable box on top of that... then... the shelf... then the panasonic DVD and then the VCR?

Will heat actually distroy the DVD Player?

Thanks!!!

2. Steve Daniels

Steve Daniels Stunt Coordinator

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I would not put anything on top of or directly under my receiver, BAD IDEA.

Try to keep all your components separate, and do not stack anything directly on top or bottom of anything.

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Time to get a new rack. You need proper spacing for all your components but especially the receiver. DVD players don't typically generate tons of heat but keep them spaced properly will ensure they last longer.

Patrick

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I've found that todays processor based components are like computers... heat makes them misbehave. I have an old Panasonic A310. If I put it on top of my hot RePlay Tv unit it starts to lock up. Once it cools down, all is well. IMO, any unit which uses some processors can misperform if they get too hot...

6. Bill Johnston

Well... For now... I will be moving the cable box on top of the receiver... and move the VCR and DVD on the top shelf... I noticed that the DVD doesn't get hot... the VCR that is only when needed... and at that time, obviously, the DVD will be off... so those two shouldn't effect each other...
    Now the receiver get's hot... and the Cable box get's hotter than that... so, they must not mind heat!!! [​IMG]
    I think this is my only solution for now..
    Bill

7. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Ideally nothing should be on top of anyhting else. However, if you must, then you should put your receiver on top of another component. (in your case, probably your DVD player since the cable box and vcr are probably too small.) This will likely not cause any harm and, in any event, is better than placing anything on top of your receiver.

Allan

8. Bill Johnston

Well, the cable box is as wide as the DVD and Receiver... But... NONE of them are the right depth!!!

Unfortunatly, we don't live in a Ideal world... Ever notice that Onkyo and Kenwood (and other's) put DVD's on top of their receivers when taking photos for advertisments and brochures...

9. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Placing anything on top of your receiver is asking for trouble.

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul