Panasonic DVD Firmware Updates!!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by matt-f, Mar 30, 2004.

1. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

I'll post the start thread here for a preview! (edit)
    Firmware List (summarized version of JVB's list of what the disc has)

The download links are available on page 17 and 18 of the thread(assuming Default Posts per Thread is on default).

DT100:

LA95:

LX9:

RA60:

LV60/PV40

RV22/RV32:

RP62/CP67:

RV36/RP56:

HT65/HT70/RV31/RV41:

DM3/HT75/HT95:

CV52/DK20/HT67:

RA61/RP91:

CP72/RA82/RP82/XP30/XP50:

Denon DVD-1600:
    -------
    To check firwmare:
    Hold PAUSE and OPEN on player and press 7 on remote. Last 3 numbers is your firmware.
    ================================================== ===
    For reset sequence.

Perform the following:

1) On the unit
    - hold PAUSE + BWD-SKIP + OPEN for about 3 seconds

The display will display "initialization" or "int".

2) While initialization is being displayed, let go of PAUSE and press STOP while holding the other two buttons.

The display will then display "reset".

3) Set your user settings.
    ================================================== ===
    Downloading the firmware:

Deleted

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Thanks matt, just did my RP-82 from 282 to 302.

Went without a hitch using Blindwrite 5.1.5 to make the disc.

DVD-A is playing just fine in Advanced Resolution, will experiment with some video later, but plan on enjoying some Okanagan sun today [​IMG]

PS - did you ever get a list of changes from Panasonic on what the firmware upgrade contains?

3. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I tried to follow that mammoth thread, but I'm still unsure what I need to download to upgrade an RP62. Is there a web page or specific part of that thread that provided instructions? Admitedly, I didn't have time to read every post.

Chris

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Chris - there is 1 .rar file which covers a bunch of machines listed on the first post ot the thread (including the RP62 to firmware version 073). The file itself has download links on page 17 or 18 of the thread, and is 52MB in size. Inside the rar file are 3 Blindwrite image files which can be burned to a CD with Blindwrite 5.1.5.

Basically once you burn the CD image, place it in your drive and follow the instructions. Spend the time to read through the posts as there are a couple of caveats including info to reset your machine once the firmware upgrade has been done.

5. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

The firmware link is on pages 17 and 18 of the thread, assuming the Default Posts per Thread is on default or else you will have trouble trying to find it.

Let me know how you guys notice the difference from before and after the firmware update.
    ---
    PaulT:

Reguarding what Panasonic said, they don't seem to know unforunately as I asked them for documentation.
    ---------

Members of AVS noticed the following changes:
    I'm just listing some of them off my head(most if not all). The official thread is huge but if you spend some time reading through it, you'll be able to follow up what's been improved so far.

- Faster unit responce, menu naviagation and layer change.
    - Units being able to fully play DVD +- R/RW. (some units did not support for it, which is now supported or they had issues with playing the discs which has been fixed)
    - Units having trouble to play certain MP3 discs have been fixed.
    - Improved color rendering which improved overall the picture quality
    - Improved VCD/SVCD playabilty

note: firmware is for stock units only.

6. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

Thanks for the link and all the work you put into this and that thread. Great job [​IMG]

..I know have an updated RP82. [​IMG]

Todd B

7. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I echo the thanks, especially for the clarification on the one single RAR file. When I saw RP82 in the file name, I initially thought I had the wrong one. I upgraded my RP62 last night without a hitch, then I watched a DVD right afterwards. I can't say that I noticed any difference, but it's good to know that I have the latest firmware. I wish we had a definative list of changes though.

Chris

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Nothing for the CV51 (or RV31 since they must be similar). I've the CV51 and if there are updates anywhere, I'd like. Not surprised there isn't anything out there. There is rarely anything for region or other mods either.

9. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I downloaded the v302 firmware update file and managed to burn a CDRW with it only using that special burning software BlindWrite v4.7 I had to download, since a conversion to ISO with WinISO didn't burn correctly with Nero. It was recognized by my XP30 and updated fine, took about 5minutes or so. It reset all the settings, so I had to redo them. I too can't see any difference or improvements at all other than the new firmware version display if I bring that up. Without a "changes" log its hard to know what to look for. I don't see any of the things others have reported like faster menu response or so on - thats unchanged. Others might have just imagined that since they don't have any way to go back to the older firmware to verify it.

10. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Hi Don:

The changes varies, depending on what's their previous firmware is. Some users with less recent firmwares noticed the differences. It also depends on what's you're watching as well. In the thread, a lot of people noticed differences in the comments. Unforunately, Panasonic doesn't have any documentation since I've tried to get the information before, but the only way which we can tell the differences is by observing.

Chris:
    Hmm you could try plucking it in the CV51 and see if it accepts the disc or not thou. However the RV31 does qualify for the firmware update. In the thread, one person decided to perform a stunt and pluck into the DVD-1600, before I added it into the fimrware list. =) It's worth a try.

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Ok, but which of the firmware versions would I try?

12. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Hi Chris:
    Oh, actaully the file has all the firmwares in there (which explains why it's 100 megs[50 meg rared]) so there is no need to worry. The player automatically picks the correct one applicable to the unit, therefore it's a package deal. If your unit isn't applicable, then you get this screen below.

[​IMG]

Matt

13. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Ok, so if I go check out that thread I can find the rar file? I have DSL internet, so downloading is now problem. I'll give it a try [​IMG]

14. Oachalon

Oachalon Stunt Coordinator

i upgraded the firmware on my rp82 and i noticed that it changes chapters fasters and it goes to menus faster than before. Other than that i dont see any difference.

15. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Anyone who has a Denon DVD-1600, here is a copy of my post in the AVS thread:

Hope this helps.

16. Chris_Matthews

Chris_Matthews Auditioning

I updated my RP-62 last night. I was really hoping it would allow it to read dvd-r, etc., but it still won't. oh well. thanks anyway.

17. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Hi Chris:

We do have confirmation that the RP62 can read DVD+-R/RW with the new firmware. Most likely, it depends on the way you burned it, if you look back on the AVS thread.

Matt

18. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

Yes the RP62 DOES play DVD-R's and when I updated to the newest firmware I can now play both DVD-R and DVD+R's/

How are you buring your DVD's? What software, what settings etc..

Check out www.dvdrhelp.com for the all you DVDR questions etc..

19. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Here is the post by FrankS who mentions what methods he use for his discs for the unit to play DVD+-R/RW.

PS: I think that SvenS = FrankS?

20. ChrisYK

ChrisYK Stunt Coordinator

I performed the firmware upgrade to my XP30 several weeks ago and noticed a faster layer change and increased menu response speed. I really can't tell if it affected the PQ at all.