Panasonic DVD-F65K

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jonathan W, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Jonathan W

Jonathan W Agent

Is this a worthwhile 5 disk system? I'm looking to replace my Pioneer DV-C503 and I can pick up the Panasonic player for only $129 at Best Buy. Is the Panasonic DVD-F65K a comparable player?

If this player ain't so good, what's the least I'd have to pay for a 5 disk player with a Faroudja chip?

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The F65K is a decent step up. It's progressive scan and chroma bug free.

The F65K doesn't have the faroudja chipset. It's predecessor, the CP67K does.

3. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    If you are intersted in a Panasonic changer and can swing an extra $20, you should consider the DVD-F85S (or K). It has all of the features of the F65 plus DVD-Audio playback (so you can "test" the hi-rez audio waters), sub-woofer out, and a number of additional video tweaks and filters. The player puts out a stunning picture (MUCH better than the DV563A, IMHO) and once you figure out the somewhat obtuse menu system, this player delivers a tremendous amount of bang for the buck. I don't think Best Buy carries this model, but Circuit City, Ultimate Electronics and many other retailers do. CC and UE carry both of these players so you can compare features and performance side by side.

4. KevinFord

KevinFord Stunt Coordinator

I returned my F65K and bought the Sammy HD931. I was VERY unimpressed with the F65k's playback quality. IMO, the picture was not even close to that of my old interlaced player (XBox).

I ended up taking it back, and getting the Sammy. Now... I am not really that impressed with the Sammy either. I think I expected it to look at lot better than my XBox, but it really doesn't. I sat and watched clips of a couple movies, including Monsters Inc and Gladiator on both players and I couldn't tell the difference.

Maybe I'm just hard to please.

Anyway, I thought the F65k was terrible and took it back right away. Still trying to decide whether to keep the Sammy, considering it cost me $300 + $100 for a DVI cable. I start thinking that for the $400, I could've thrown in another $200 and gotten a nice DVD recorder from Panasonic. Maybe this is the way I will go. I'll hit this post with my results if I do.