What's new

Panasonic DP-UB820-K - single-frame advance won't work properly on 4K discs? (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I recently was given the Panasonic UB820 4K Blu-Ray player as a gift. After a few weeks, I noticed that a feature I rarely use, single frame advance, doesn't work properly on 4K content. Here is what I found:

-On 4K Blu-Ray discs, my UB820 will play forward in slow motion just fine, but it will only manually frame-advance forward up to five frames; after that, the manual single-frame advance becomes unresponsive. Reverse single-frame advance and reverse slow motion don't work at all.
-Standard Blu-Ray discs - single-frame advance works normally moving forward, as many frames as I want to advance, but it doesn't work in reverse
-DVD - manual single-frame advance works perfectly both forward and backwards

Anyone else have this problem with their unit? I did run across a user on I think Reddit whose unit did the same thing.

I contacted Panasonic, and they want me to ship it in to be "repaired" (and I have to pay for shipping), even though the unit was purchased new about two months before I contacted them about this.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have the UB420 (the only difference being the 820 supports Dolby Vision and the 420 does not). I haven’t tried this on my unit but I will when I get some free time. Was the player outputting DV or HDR10 when you were trying to frame advance?

I have to ask, if it’s a feature you rarely use, are you really that worried about it?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have the UB420 (the only difference being the 820 supports Dolby Vision and the 420 does not). I haven’t tried this on my unit but I will when I get some free time. Was the player outputting DV or HDR10 when you were trying to frame advance?

I have to ask, if it’s a feature you rarely use, are you really that worried about it?

Both. Dolby Vision or HDR10, it makes no difference; the feature doesn't work properly on any 4K disc.

No, I'm not that worried about it. I don't think I'm going to get it fixed. I'm just more annoyed at being told that my basically brand-new player needs to be "repaired."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks