Panasonic DMRE80HS and DVD issues

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Brighton, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton Stunt Coordinator

I just bought this today and am fairly impressed. However, a main reason I bought this is so that I can burn old VHS to DVD and burn TV shows onto DVD's. I tried this and it works (playback wise) via the new player (naturally), but neither of my other DVD players could read the DVD-R disc. I'm trying it again on the included DVD-RAM disc, but if this doesn't work; then this could be a problem.

The DVD-R discs I bought were TDK and my player is a Mits. 8020 (my "other" DVD player, that is). The DVD-RAM disc is a Panasonic disc, which goes without saying.

Any ideas anyone?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

How old are they? Older players may have trouble with DVD-R, because it didn't exist when players first appeared. My venerable Sony 7000 doesn't know what to do with a DVD-R disc.

You did finalize the DVD-R before trying it in the other players, didn't you?

Relatively few players will be able to read DVD-RAM, and most of them are recent Panasonic models. If your other players can't handle DVD-R, it's unlikely they'll be able to read DVD-RAM.

M.

3. Matt Brighton

I thought I finalized the disc, it did it on its own. But if there's something I need to physically do to the disc, let me know as I'm at a loss...I'm on the cusp of going out and buying a new, cheap, DVD player just to be able to play my "burned" DVD's!

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I don't quite know what you mean by this - the E80 (I own) does not finalize on it's own. You must select DVD, go into the Functions menu, select Disc Settings and finalize from there. If you haven't done this successfully, then you haven't finalized your DVD-R. If you have, then I agree that your player is too old.

5. Matt Brighton

I haven't done that, I'll try it again now (I'm assuming you can put the DVD back in the player and do this) and let you know what it does.

My players are only two years old at most, so I wasn't expecting these problems...

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Good thing you waited. A new player wouldn't behave any differently than your existing players.

M.

7. Matt Brighton

Thanks for everyone's help, it all works fine now. I'll have to play with the editing as I'm about to burn something that will require some editing, but you can't make an omlet without breaking some eggs!

Thanks again!