PANASONIC DMR-T3040 Professional DVD Video Recorder Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by STLMIKE, Apr 29, 2004.

1. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

This interests me as it has a hard drive for editing purposes and it is black so it matches the rest of my components.

How does this differ from the other Panasonics?

2. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    Mike, I own the piece and it was adaquate in it's day but it only has a 40 Gig hard drive and suffers from the black level bug. I would highly recommend you pick up a DMR-E80 on close out instead. Such a better machine, it just isn't black. I wouldn't pay a cent over $100.00 today for the 3040. Anything more and you are being ripped off, IMHO.

3. STLMIKE

Thanks for the info -- what exactlyis the black level bug?

I'm not as concerned about the 40GB drive, as the DVDR is going to be hooked up to a Dish PVR, which has a 100GB drive.

I mainly want the HD in the DVDR for editing purposes.

THX, Mike

4. Brian Co

Brian Co Extra

Mike, The black level bug is essentially where you'll find washed out/badly contrasted blacks when playing back content recorded to DVDR from the unit on other standalone's. This was fixed with the release of the E-50/60/80/100 models. You may want to look around and see if you can find an E-80 as the price has dropped rather substantially on these since the release of the E-85. You should be able to find an open box unit (same 30 day return policy and full warrenty) at a local BB or CC for less than $399.

5. STLMIKE

Thanks -- I will check around for one of those.

Mike