Panasonic DMR-HS2 recording to DVD-R

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StevenF, Nov 13, 2002.

1. StevenF

StevenF Stunt Coordinator

I have put several VHS tapes (home stuff) onto the hard-drive and then I burn it to a Memorex DVD-R. The problem is I cannot get the disc to play on any of my other DVD players other than the Panasonic DMR-HS2. I also have a Sony DVD and a brand new JVC XV-S500 region free player... and they all say "No disc inserted". The VHS are watchable on the hard-drive. Is there something I am doing wrong? Is there a finalize disc button or setup? Help.

2. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I have many problems with Memorex medias (be it DVD-R, DVD+R, CD-R, CD-RW). I never have any problem with Princo media, though. It's about US$ 2 a piece (including our 15% taxes).

Many Sony DVD players also do NOT play DVD-R, although the recent ones, including the new Psyc series DVD player will play DVD-R with no problem. I don't know anything about JVC player other than the fact that one of my buddy own one (about 3 years old) and it can play any DVD-R recordings I made for him.

3. StevenF

StevenF Stunt Coordinator

Do you have to Finalize a DVD-R... so it is able to play in other DVD players?

4. David Susilo

yes, you have to finalize the DVD-R before you can play it on any standalone player.

The units I've tested include:

Panasonic: RP-91, A300, RV-22, RV-31, RV-32
    Yamaha: DVD-S1000, DVD-S510, DVD-S520, DVD-C900
    Sony: Psyc and other models released in 2002
    Pioneer: DV-05, DVD-414, DV-45, DV47A, DV-47Ai
    Toshiba: 1008, 2008, 2006
    JVC: several older models (about 3 years old)

The units failed DVD-R test include:
    KOSS: tested on ALL models available at Wal-Mart Canada and Costco Canada
    Yamaha: DVD-S795
    Sony: many Sony models up to 2001
    Daewoo, Zenith, RCA, GE: can play the first 2/3 of the movie, the last 1/3, especially the final 10 minutes (in 2-hour SP mode) always shows pixelitation and/or freeze up.

5. Kamal_K

Kamal_K Stunt Coordinator

Princo media is good, I just burned a dvd on my pc and played it on my first gen sony dvd player and it worked. I purchase the princo at 90 cents each in quantitys of 100 from diskmovers.com.

6. David Susilo

Quite unfortunately, many cheap media store in the US don't ship to Canada. The one that ships either have the price of shipping way up high or have the price of the media way up high which makes the saving not substantial enough considering the hassles.