Panasonic DMR-HS2 Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin_Taylor, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Dustin_Taylor

Dustin_Taylor Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up a DMR-HS2 yesterday and I have a question about dubbing a program on the hard drive to a DVD-R.

If I record a program to the hard drive that is 3 hours long in SP mode, can I later split the file on the hard drive into 2 separate files ~ 1.5 hours long? The reason I would do this is a DVD-R con only record a file of 2 hours in length in SP mode.

From what I can tell from the manual the DMR-HS2 will automatically convert a 3 hour progrom on the hard drive in SP mode to a lesser quality mode so it can fit on a single DVD-R disc.

Thanks,

Dustin

2. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

You have several options...

You can indeed split the program recorded on the hard drive (HDD) by creating one or more playlists of the segments you want. You'd then dub the playlist(s) onto DVD-R.

I recommend always recording on the HDD in XP mode if you intend to dub to DVD. This allows you to get the best quality recordings.

You're right that SP mode only gives you two hours, but if you have something that's 2.5 hours, you can use FR mode to get almost-SP quality. I don't go over 3 hours for my use cuz compression artifacts increase & there's noticeable loss in detail.

Optionally if you decide to split your 3-hour program into two 1.5-hour programs, you could dub them onto 2 DVD-Rs using FR mode. You get better-than-SP quality.

3. Dustin_Taylor

Dustin_Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Thanks.

After playing around some more I found an option to divide a recording. It works well.

After reading your post I also tried the playlist option you mentioned and it works as well.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with the picture quality of this unit's recordings in SP mode. I notice no difference between live and recorded broadcasts. Much better than a VCR, but that's not really a fair compairison.

Devices like these are the future.

DT