Panasonic DMR-EH55S DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Walt H, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

2. TerryL

TerryL Auditioning

Looks good. Except it does not record to a Dual Layer disc. It can play back DVD-R(DL) and DVD+R(DL) which is sad because after 3 years, Panasonic finally recognized the +R technology, but they didn't create a DVD recorder to record to the dual layer technology.

3. starrider

starrider Auditioning

I've ordered one but haven't received it yet. According to the user manual downloaded from the support webpage on panasonic.com, the dmr-eh55s will record to dvd-r (dl) and dvd+r (dl), just not directly from the source. You have to first record to hdd, then dub to dl disc.

Here's the link to the webpage where you can download the user manual. The info I mentioned is on page 5:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...ceCenter=true#

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

My wife just ordered this for me for my new home theater. I've been looking at the manual, and it seems that it can use the HDMI connection to pass my cable and HDD signal to my 34 inch HD Sony with no problem!

I already own the Panny E85, and I love it. This will be even more to love!

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    The one real hesitation is that Matsushita (aka Panasonic) DVD drives
    are typicalygarbage. They are remarkably finicky about what media you feed them and tend to create unreliable burns. Personally, I would go elsewhere.

6. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Not exactly sure what you mean by this. My Panny E85, although it only burns to -R and -RAM, has been very reliable, and hasn't rejected anything I've burned.... I usually only dump things to disc I want to share with my friends and family...

7. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Update on the Panasonic E55HS. I've been using it now for approximately 3 weeks, and it is sweeet. Works well in conjunction with my Sony 34-in HDTV (CRT-type), and I really believe that my analog cable signal looks BETTER on the TV running from the Panny through the HDMI cable than just through the TV tuner itself, which converts the analog signal to 1080i.