Panasonic DMR-E80HS $485.09 after eCost.com rebate!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Den*G, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Den*G

Den*G Auditioning

I just bought the Panasonic DMR-E80HS Progressive-Scan DVD Video Recorder with 80GB Hard Disk for $485.09 after eCost.com rebate!
    [$509.99+FREE SHIPPING+$5.10 HANDLING=$515.09-$30.00=$485.09]

I was trying to do some research before buying... but all of the GOOD INFO is locked away on forums like this. so, I became a member, just to find out people's experiences with the DMR-E80HS. well, the registration took too long for me (I have about as much patience as a nat when it comes to buying something I want) so I just bought it without really finding out any GOOD info on it. but now, after getting my "approval" for the forum (which made SEARCHING for the DMR-E80HS possible) it would seem that I got myself a pretty damn nice machine!

I have also had a great time reading everyone's experience with it, and I am sure it will help me greatly for when it arrives.

THANKS!

2. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

You got a damn nice price too [​IMG] I paid nearly $100 more when the E80 had just come out. This is the 3rd Panny DVD recorder I've had & they made great improvements to it--from slighly better recording quality to manual chapter marker insertion to better FR mode recording to lossless HDD->DVD-R dubs.

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Just received mine today, but havent hooked it up yet... [​IMG]

I am kind of threatened by it (learning all that the machine can do after hearing about the manual), but I am also very excited and looking forward to trying the machine out...

I bought mine from Amazon... I thought about getting it a little cheaper from another online store, but I know Amazon really doesnt hassel if there are problems and it needs to be returned or exchanged, so the few extra bucks I think was probably worth my piece of mind...

I paid $545 shipped from Amazon... I could have gotten it for $490 somewhere else online, but there was no return policy from that store... I figured what if the machine arrived damaged and I cant return it?

4. Den*G

Den*G Auditioning

one thing you need to remember is no matter what a store's policy is, you have "rights" as a consumer. if it arrived damaged, you would get a refund or a replacement. you might have to wait until it gets returned, etc. but you would get it because your credit card bank will not stand for anything less out of a merchant.
    as for going with a company with a bigger "name" ~ i can see how that would make someone feel better... but you might do a little research to see who the "parent" company is. like with eCOST, they are the *same* company as PCmall/MACmall. (yet this Panny was more expensive at PC/MAC even though they still had the rebate... strange) I have done business with PCmall/MACmall hundreds of times, and have even had various *rebates* with both, and never did they make me feel like i was not an important customer. they also note on the order page when your item will ship and if it ships out the same day you place the order, they actually do it. also, they have various warehouses so they can pick a warehouse closer to you to cut down on shipping time (when I lived in TX, they shipped from CA. now I live in the New England area, they shipped from TN)
    sorry, i didnt want to turn this into a commercial for PCmall/MACmall, but i did want to stress to *anyone else* that might have read this post but has not bought a Panny DMR-E80H yet, that this place is good and they have the cheapest price when you add (or subtract as it would be [​IMG]) the $30 rebate.
    sure, i have seen it other places for $489.00 but then they want $34.95 for shipping.
    just so no one thinks I am a mole for eCost, you can also find the Panny DMR-E80H at 6th Ave Electronics City (6ave.com) for $502.22 with $.06 shipping = $502.28 ~ other than those two places, every other store was more.

hope that helps anyone wanting to buy this.

and again, thanks to the owners and participants of this forum for having all of this info available. even though i didnt get to search for the info before i bought it, it sure as hell calmed my heavy-duty "post-purchase anxiety!"

5. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

6. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Den,

Thanks for the info... I should have probably bought it somewhere else cheaper... It would have been nice to get it a little cheaper...

The people I kind of feel bad for as the ones who dont look online at all and buy from local stores... Best Buy/Circuit City have the recorder at $699 plus tax...

Another problem is that I use a debit card... I know a debit card doesnt give the consumer as many rights as a credit card does when it comes to standing behind the customer...

7. Den*G

Den*G Auditioning

i use a debit card, too... for *every purchase* i make online and off, because i think credit is evil. (more about that later)
    ...and you are half right about the rights being seemingly less for debit cards, but the bank will still not let you get ripped off. even if you paid CASH, as a "consumer" you have basic rights that the merchant must follow.
    one of the most important things about using a debit card is not to alert the merchant that it is only a debit card. they can't tell. no matter what they say, they can not tell! any time they have a check-box that says "is this a debit card" i never check it and it still goes through. places that say "we do not accept DEBIT Visa or DEBIT MasterCard" i still buy from and it goes through.
    the downside with a debit card is that a bank will not step in the middle of you and the merchant if you agreed to the purchase and then the merchant can prove you received your purchase. you will have to work it out with the merchant then, but usually threats of a "CHARGE-BACK" will scare them into taking care of the matter. if they can not prove your purchase was sent to you, then the bank will treat it as fraud.
    the other thing i like about debit cards... you can open up another checking account within your main one, and get a new card. keep like $50 in it at all times. usually you will still get that account free of charge if you have enough money in your other accounts (savings, money market, cd, primary checking, etc) to keep your new account from accruing any bank fees, etc. then, when you know you are going to make a big purchase, dump money into that account and then use your card for only that amount (still keeping the $50 buffer) and that way if anyone ever gets your card number, the most they can get is $50 and that amount is small enough that the bank will credit you back that $50 if it is ever stolen.
    also, another good thing to do with debit cards is about every 6-8 months change the card number. you dont have to close out the checking account and re-open, just tell the bank you have been making lots of *internet* purchases, and you fear that the number might have been compromised, and you would like to cancel that *card number* and get a new card.
    just a few simple pre-cautions can help you big time.

now, to get back on TOPIC...

if anyone has survived that mortal babble above and can answer this question for me or point me to a link that the answer is on, i would much appreciate it:

are all of the INPUTS on the DMR-E80H "through" puts? meaning, if I hook up my SATELLITE to INPUT #1 and my S-VCR to INPUT #3 and my PS2 to INPUT #2, will I need to power ON the Panny in order to see the picture from any of those devices? I would really hate to have to turn on my DMR-E80H just to play a PlayStation game, or to watch satellite TV.

I guess I will find out when my machine arrives on 9/30, but I'd like to *map out* what I have to do before it gets here [​IMG]

8. Den*G

Den*G Auditioning

now it's $499.99 at eCost PLUS the $30 rebate!

9. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

The inputs on the E80 are just that. So it can record from various inputs. You might have one output from the E80H to the tv. Not sure how you can determine the output to be sent to the tv without selecting the input on the E80? Are you thinking whatever input was selected before powering it off would get passed thru? Don't think that's possible. I have output cables from my vcr to the tv and to the E80.

10. Den*G

Den*G Auditioning

well, it's a long explaination, but the bottomline is that I didnt want to have to turn on the Panny to see my satellite TV if I wasn't recording... but it seems I will either HAVE TO do that, or use the RF out, which looks like garbage. in addition to the RF, my SAT box has only 1 S-Video out and 1 composite out, and when you have an S-Video cable plugged into it, it cancels out the composite out. VERY IGNORANT of the Hughes Corporation to make this box like this. I'm really not interested in having to buy a *new* SAT receiver just for more outputs, unless I will get better picture enhancement, compression/decompression. (is there any picture quality difference between the various DirecTV SAT receivers available? maybe I will upgrade if such a "better" receiver exists) SO, i dont really know what I will do yet. I have been trying to map it out in my head for when the Panny arrives on Tues... but it's just getting more frustrating than anything.