Panasonic DMR-E80HP-S

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeremy K, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

How is the playback on the Panasonic DMR-E80HP-S DVD recorder compared to an average or good standalone DVD player? I am wondering about the Video and the Sound. I don't have an HD TV, and my receiver is a Marantz SR6200(looking at Yamaha5760), and I want to be able to get the most out of everything. I am thinking of commercial DVD movies, not just recordings. Thanks

2. Jeffrey Taylor

Well, playback quality depends on what it's got to work with. I have one and am delighted with it. On pre-recorded dvd's it's the equal of any player I've used, with S Video, Component Video, Progressive Scan, 5.1--the works. On stuff you record you won't find much of any difference visually (I view mine on a 57" HD rear projection crt) if you stick to one or two hour speeds. Slower, as you would expect, gets noticeable, but still equal to or better than any VHS you've seen. You'll only have two channel audio, however. Does that help?

3. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

Yes, that helps, thanks. The sound is what I was wondering about mostly. So even if I am playing a commercial DVD, I will only get 2 channel audio? That is kind of suprising, I guess I need to get a new DVD player too. I gave my brother my old one, because I thought I could just use the recorder to play all DVD's. But I want the surround sound for sure.

Thanks for the info.

4. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

No, it plays surround sound on commercial dvds (movies). It can't record in surround, only stereo. Also it only plays stereo for dvd-audio discs.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Just to be clear on terminology: Even two-channel playback can generate surround sound. In fact, "surround sound" was what they called it for many years when two-channel playback was all that existed for home theater.

What we're talking about here is Dolby Digital and DTS, both of which are capable of up to 5.1 channels. The E80 can pass those signals to a decoder, just like any other DVD player made today. So if you're playing a studio-manufactured DVD with 5.1 sound, 5.1 sound is what you'll get. If you're playing a studio-manufactured DVD with 2.0 matrixed surround, that's what you'll get -- and that constitutes "surround sound".

However, the E80, like all or most current DVD recorders, cannot record 5.1 sound. It can only record two-channel sound from analog sources.

M.