Panasonic DMR E80H...Worth it?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JohnCN, Feb 16, 2004.

1. JohnCN

JohnCN Auditioning

Today, I have the opportunity to buy a Panasonic DMR E80H...the DVD recorder with the HDD..

The original list price is 699 at Best Buy. This week the price is 629.99, and I have 215 bucks in gift certificates, and a coupon for an additional ten percent off...

With the service plan of 199, I figure that this will cost me about 600 total.

Is it worth it, or should I wait for the prices to come down a bit?

Really want to start converting some of my really old VHS to DVD...

The 10 percent off certificate expires today so have to decide pretty quickly.

I know this is a personal decision, based on finances, etc., but I want to make a good choice. I have not seen any affordable DVD recorders, other than the Panny and the Phillips, with an HDD.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

You can buy a Panny E80 online for about $525 shipped, with no sales tax. Onecall.com has an open box E80 on their site listed at $450. Best Buy's prices on more expensive electronics are usually not that great.

I own a Panny E80 and really like the machine for my purposes -- dubbing home videos, VHS tapes and occasional recording of TV. I paid about $525 from ecost.com for my unit.

3. JohnCN

JohnCN Auditioning

Thanks, Scott...Appreciate the advice.

I know that BB's prices aren't always the best, but the reason I was going to buy from them was to burn off the gift certificates, some of which expire in May.

But, you have a point..the same amount of money spent elsewhere would allow me to use the certificates on something else at Best Buy.

Did the 525 include a service plan though? I have had bad luck with DVD players crapping out on me, and labor is SO expensive.

4. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Why would you need a service plan? Especially for $199? Wa.....y out of line. Forget the service plan.

I own the E80 and am entirely pleased with it. I will never buy another dvd recorder without a hard drive. That said, Panasonic has announced two more models. One is called the E85. I don't know if this model replaces the E80 (but I would guess that it does) or what is better about it. If it is a replacement, the E80 likely will be closed out at a somewhat lower price. Something to consider ...

5. JohnCN

JohnCN Auditioning

Alan...

That is the best piece of advice...Thank you.

I had no idea that Panasonic was coming out with an E85H...which would definitely mean that the prices will come down.

To be honest, I know that 199 is alot for a service plan, but I get concerned about the cost of labor on fixing something which might break after 90 days...

If I got it today, the cost to me, after taking the discount, and using the gift certificates, would be about 350 bucks. The certs expire in May...just don't know if the E85H will bring down the price of the E80H that fast.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

John, the prices I mentioned do not include a service plan. Personally, I never purchase such plans, and $200 for such a plan on a $500 item is outrageously expensive, IMO. I figure that all the money I do not spend on service plans will more than cover the expense incurred replacing the occasional item that fails during this "extended coverage" time and before I'm ready to upgrade.

7. Cindy V

Cindy V Agent

Walmart.com has it for $534 and you can return it within 890 days to a walmart store for a full refund. Try it out and see if you like it. I also do not get the wartrenties. I just bought a Panny 47WX53 TV and did not get the warrenty. I bought it fro CC but had them match the Walmart.com price of 1284.

8. JohnCN

JohnCN Auditioning

Thanks, everybody.

I picked up my Panny DMR E80H tonight at BB. Thanks for all of the feedback.

And I did not get the very expensive service plan. [​IMG]

Again, thanks.

Now I have to get it out of the box and figure out how to work it [​IMG]

9. alan halvorson

So, John - how do like your E80?

10. JohnCN

JohnCN Auditioning

My bad...work has been so crazy, I haven't yet had the time to open the box, and get to work setting up. I need to set aside some time this weekend.

One quick question...and it probably is a stupid one. When I am using the component video cable, do I also have to connect to the TV using the RCA cables?

Thanks guys for all of your help.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Not sure what you're asking. For what are you using component cables? What do you mean by "RCA cables"? Is the connection to the TV for input to the player or output?

If this is any help: My E80 gets its video input via S-video from a cable box. Its video output is delivered to the TV set by a component connection. (It's routed through my Lexicon processor so that I can switch other component sources, but you get the idea.)

The audio input is analog stereo from the cable box. The audio output is optical digital to the Lexicon.

Does any of that help?

M.

12. alan halvorson

One hint: set DVD Compatibility to "ON" and leave it on. To retain program markers on a dub from HDD to DVD-R, this option must be "ON" and you must use the high speed mode. This option must be set before copying the program to HDD. I don't know why this option even exists, as I can think of no reason why it should ever be set to "OFF", but there it is.