Panasonic DMR-E30S DVD recorder pre-orders at ecost.com

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Ecost.com is taking preorders on the Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD recorder.
Slimline progressive scan DVD player
DVD-RAM, DVD-R record
You can play and record at the same time
Firewire
US$555. (I have no idea when it will ship.)
See here.
If you can read Japanese, here are the specs.
This would fit nicely with my Panasonic RP91 DVD player and my Panasonic LF-D311 Firewire DVD-RAM/-R drive, but I'm going to wait until you guinea pigs tell me if it's any good.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eugene, thanks for the info. Ecost.com's price is undoubtedly discounted, but the DMR-E30 should be cheaper at brick-and-mortar stores than the 'E20, which is a step in the right direction. If the picture ecost.com shows is of the 'E30, it looks to be shorter than the 'E20, which is also good. The 'E20 was too big, in my opinion. I'll be looking for the 'E30 in stores, though waiting another generation should yield even cheaper players. Where do things stand as far as arriving at a universal format? Are the companies still marketing their own formats?

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Heh. Good question.

You should note however, that if you burn DVD-R, in the case of Panasonic or Pioneer, or DVD+R in the case of the Philips machine you should be able to play the discs in the vast majority of DVD players.

Anyways, it's not as if these formats are really "their own formats" per se.

Panasonic's DVD-RAM is an approved format of the DVD Forum, as is the DVD-RW of the Pioneer. If this brand new DVD Multi certification ever makes it into the mainstream, you will see players that are certified to read DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-Video, DVD-VR, and DVD-Audio.

Since DVD+RW is not an approved format of the DVD Forum, the DVD Multi specification will not include DVD+RW or DVD+R compatibility as a requirement. However, it is the format pushed by a conglomerate of big guns. Also, the lack of inclusion into DVD Multi may or may not be moot however, if the DVD+RW technology becomes more common because companies may make their machines DVD+RW compatible, and DVD+R should work in most machines already anyway. You may have to do more research in your DVD player purchases however. I suspect that heavyweights like Panasonic though may never make their DVD players compatible with Philips set top DVD+RW recorded discs, for political reasons.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My Japanese is NOT very good, but here goes

Record Disc Type- DVD-RAM DVD-R (version 2.0 for general use)

Record Speeds- XP (highest) SP(Excellent) LP(Very Good) EP(Good)

Disc Types accepted- DVD Video,Video CD,CD-DA(standard CD) CD-R/RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R

Tuner can get:
VHF 1~12ch
UHF 13~62ch
CATV C13~C63ch
BS 1~15ch (what's BS???)

Inputs- Svideo x3 Composite x3
Outputs- D2x1(??) Component x1 (RCA jacks), S video x 2, Composite x 2

Sound inputs- Analog 2 channel x3
Sound Outputs- Analog 2 channel x2 Digital x 1(dunno if optical or coax)

Power consumption 28W
Dimensions- 430×306×79mm
Weight- 3.7KG

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eugene, thanks for the information. I have not been keeping up with developments in the recordable DVD arena, so your information is helpful. Thanks again. I will probably still sit out the coming round of recorders to see if more choices become available at lower prices next year. I also want to see what becomes of the various recording methods.

I looked at the close-up picture of the 'E30. It looks nice. I'm glad Panasonic got rid of the silver jog wheel that is on the 'E20. I never liked it.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
No prob, Keith. Also, check my sig if you want some info on DVD recordable PC drives.

As for the E30, it'd be nice to know what progressive chip is in it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Eugene, I missed your signature. I'll have to check that out too.

You said:
As for the E30, it'd be nice to know what progressive chip is in it.
I would hope that Panasonic would incorporate the same progressive-scan chip it has used in the 'RP56 or 'RP91, given the excellent picture quality there.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
From what I've read, the Japanese version of the E30 has firewire, but the US version will not. Other than the slimline case and progressive scan cababilities (and the cheaper price), the unit should be pretty similar to the E20, which is not a bad thing at all since the E20 is a great machine, especially for such a new technology. I don't regret having bought the E20 instead of waiting for the E30 since I don't care about the progressive capability.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Last I heard these (this and the one with the hard drive) use the same chip as the RP-56, hopefully with the (rarely occuring) flicker bug eliminated.

The DMRHS1 (similar features plus hard drive) has firewire, I believe.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Hmmm... If it has the Sage Faroudja chip I guess that's good, but unfortunately my TV locks into full mode when fed a progressive signal.

I was wondering if it could possibly replace my RP91. I originally thought it wouldn't anyway (potential video quality issues, and the fact that I do own at least one DVD-A), but this settles the issue.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rameshktbanu