Panasonic DMR-E30 questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Susilo, Sep 16, 2002.

1. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

I'm serisouly thinking of buying the DMR-E30. I still have many questions about this unit. Maybe fellow HTF-ers can help me.

1. Chapter Programming: is it possible? do you have to do it manually? or can it be done automatically (set it for every 10 minutes, for example)? Should it be done during the recording process (a'la 'index' on a VCR) or can it be done when the disc is done but before finalizing it?

2. FR option, can it be done WITHOUT using a timer? Say I have a 127 minutes video, I don't want to use the 4-hour mode and at the same time I can't use the 2-hour mode. Can I set the compression to "127 minutes FR mode"?

3. Is the end result, after finalizing, be automatically copy protected a'la standalone consumer Audio CD recorder?

4. Can it disable Macrovision? This is NOT for piracy, but I have some music video which I own the copyright but no longer have the original Betacam tapes. I only have them on S-VHS and ED-Beta. I don't know whether they have Macrovi$ion embedded, but I just want to be on the safe side.

Thank you.

2. Brad HP

Brad HP Agent

I have been using the E30 for about a month now, and will try to answer your questions.

1. The unit sets up chapters about every 5 minutes. I have not found any way to change the chapter settings, although I really haven't bothered to look. The menu doesn't show thumbnails of the chapters, so they merely make it quicker to go forward/backward through the disc. Separate programs on one disc are treated as separate programs and can be selected as such or you can play all programs in order or based on a "play list" that you set up.

2. Your explanation is correct concerning the FR mode. You do not need to use the timer. Very simple to use.

3. After finalizing the disc, it is now in a DVD video format that can be read by many DVD players, particularly newer models. This disc is not copy protected per se. As such, you can put it in a DVD player and record another copy onto a DVD-R in the E30.

4. The unit does not disable Macrovision. I tried to copy over my old Larry Bird tape (CBS Sports, store bought tape), but it would not allow me to do so. I have had no problem copying some of my older VHS and any of my laserdiscs.

Overall, I am very pleased with the unit which is my first recorder. It is simple to use, makes very good copies and is compatible with my Panasonic RP-91. Hope that helps.

3. David Susilo

Brad, thank you for the information. Would you kindly check your manual with regards to manual chapter designation? I will be transferring a lot of my personal concert videos and it will be a tremendous need for me to be able to do so.

Also, will it make any difference (in terms of space being used) between DD2.0 vs. PCM Stereo?

4. David Susilo

Also, if I have anamorphic source (from my camcorder) and I transfer it to DVD, will other DVD player see an anamorphic flag and do anamorphic downconversion when I watch it on regular TV? Or there won't be any flag which as a result makes everybody looks "tall"?

5. Jon W (NoVA)

Jon W (NoVA) Stunt Coordinator

If you're recording a DVD-R, I believe the only way to make an entry in the menu is to hit the pause key as you record where you'd like them.

This is also the only way you can edit your recording if using DVD-R.

You have a lot more flexibility when recording to DVD-RAM, including the ability to do simple editing and creating your own entries in the menu. The player generated menus are simply a play list. Nothing fancy. No stills.

The lack of any sort of ability to edit a DVD-R is kind of annoying in that when I want to record a movie, I normally set it to start a minute before and stop a minute after, but then I can't go back and trim that out later. So I guess I'll have to make sure my clock is accurate.