What's new

Panasonic DMR-E100HS: region coding? (1 Viewer)

Daniele Mariott

Auditioning
Hello american friends! :)
I'm italian and i want import by Amazon ,
Panasonic DMR-E100HS
Progressive-Scan DVD Video Recorder with Built-in 120 GB Hard Disk
Could you tell me if there is a territorial lock o region lock?
I think I can play european DVD in a dvd recoder usa (obvioulsy I have NTSC TV), but I must be sure!

Thank you very much!

P.S. Congratulations for the forum! Wonderful!

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Daniele, I'm afraid that if you order the Panasonic from the US it will play Region 1 NTSC prerecorded discs only; if you want to record Italian TV, you would first have to convert the PAL to NTSC before recording - the recorded material would then have (I think) no region encoding. I would advise against it unless you find somebody in Italy who can "hack" the player to accept all regions. Don't they sell a PAL/R2 version there?
I'm no expert, but I would be cautious.

Daniele Mariott

Auditioning
Thank you Larry! :)

Quote:
I'm afraid that if you order the Panasonic from the US it will play Region 1 NTSC prerecorded discs only

:frowning: , so I could not play european DVD films :angry:

Quote:
you would first have to convert the PAL to NTSC before recording - the recorded material would then have (I think) no region encoding

It is not a problem, because my TV accepts NTSC,and I have a current converter, but I can not buy a DVD recorder only for recorder tv programs....

Quote:
would advise against it unless you find somebody in Italy who can "hack" the player to accept all regions. Don't they sell a PAL/R2 version there?

Yes in Italy and in all Europe they sell PAl version.....but.....It has not Progressive Scan!!!Dam!
All DVD Recorders sold in Europe have not Progressive Scan, It is a non sense, but it is europe reality.
You must know that PAL market is the worse in the wordl, and in the next mounths I will buy a Plasma TV......and I need absolutely progressive scan.....I think you can see my reasons....

Quote:
I would advise against it unless you find somebody in Italy who can "hack" the player to accept all regions

It is the only way to resolve my problem.

Thank yopu for your patience!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Daniele,

I'm not sure Amazon.com will ship those electronic devices outside the US. In fact, I think they won't, but of course I could be wrong in this specific case.

In Europe it's much easier to get 'modified' DVD players and most TV-sets will accept NTSC signals already without a problem. So then you could play all region-2 DVDs and the region-1 discs as well (that's what I do myself).

Progressive scan recorders are available here too - e.g. the PHILIPS DVD+R1000 MK-II. Unfortunately, I cannot tell you if this one is available in a modified version.

Cees

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Also...NTSC progressive scan only works on high-definition ready NTSC sets, which are mostly widescreen models here. Unless you have this type of NTSC set, progressive scan can't be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks