panasonic dmr-e series question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by kathy_parsons, Aug 19, 2004.

1. kathy_parsons

kathy_parsons Auditioning

hi all,

im in the uk and considering getting one of the panasonic series of dvd-recorders, but ive read on a review somewhere that when a dvd-r is finalized the recorder automatically puts chapter marks in whether you want it to or not?

can anyone tell me if this is true, or is there a way to disable this if you just want a straight recording without chapter marks. sounds a minor point, but could be annoying if this is the case!

also,i was looking at getting one of these, probably a dmre55, instead of a philips dvdr610...does that sound reasonable decision?

important thing for me is that i'll be archiving ntsc vhs onto dvd, so the player i get needs to be able to record in NTSC as well as PAL, tho i think most of them do by the looks of it.

anyway, be grateful for any comments or advice.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

There may be some Panasonic models that don't do this or allow for other options, but (with one caveat noted below) this is generally how they work.

The caveat: With recorders equipped with a hard drive, material can be recorded to the hard drive and transferred to DVD-R without chapter marks as long as the "high speed" recording method is used. That method creates a DVD-R with no chapter marks. It also allows you to create your own chapter marks by inserting markers into the hard drive recording before transferring to DVD-R.

M.

3. kathy_parsons

ok thanks for that but i dont think my budget will stretch to a hard drive model at this point

....although i guess if i use dvd-ram discs on the above players, and transfer this straight over to my pc's hard drive via my pc dvd writer (it reads dvd-ram), i will be able to edit as i choose? - this will be my preferred option if its possible.

4. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Be careful, I haven't found a good way to edit what's on a dvd-ram with PC software. I bought a Panasonic dvd-ram recorder for my PC and could not get their software to work. It especially gets hard to install if you already have some other software like Roxio drag to disc installed.
    (which treats writable discs like a hard drive). The dvd-ram for movies is a different format than the drag to disc format.

5. kathy_parsons

thanks for the comments, ive done some more research and ive now found i need a pioneer or a philips in anycase, reason being that with my vcr's putting out a PAL60 signal for the NTSC tapes i want to archive it means i need a recorder that accepts it - and panasonic and a lot of others dont! they only take a pure PAL or NTSC.

so im going to 'test' a philips 610 courtesy of argos with their 16day moneyback guarantee to see how it comes out.

kath