What's new

Panasonic DMR-80 DVD Recorder Help! (1 Viewer)

I was able to finally hook up the Panny last night after a couple of hours trying to get it to record with video and sound. Rather than switching my receiver to TV, DVD, I hooked it up under just DVD. I have the input in from the Direct TV and moved my left, Right audio cables from the back of Direct TV box to receiver.

I did a test record to hard drive and it worked great. My only issue is when I turn on my DVD player,I get the setup screen message (English, Auto channel, etc). Can someone please help me to disable the setup screen from coming on!

Thanks,

Bob

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
My only issue is when I turn on my DVD player,I get the setup screen message (English, Auto channel, etc). Can someone please help me to disable the setup screen from coming on!
That's one of the stupid feature of the HS2 and it seems to appear in the E80. Do the makers assume we all are hooking this thing to regular cable instead of SAT receiver?

I spent like 1/2hr trying to get around it. Couldn't find it in the manual and couldn't figure it out myself so I finally tricked the recorder by attaching a coaxial to the ANT IN and it did it stupid thing. Just plug it in. It doesn't matter what the recorder does since we're not using this feature.

Once it's done, unplug it and you won't have to do it again (you might have to if you ever unplug the recorder. I'm not sure since I haven't had to unplug it yet.)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
DustinLC beat me to it.

You have to fool the recorder into thinking it's done a channel setup. A complete waste of time, of course, if you don't use the recorder's tuner to select your channels.

M.

Can someone please tell me the correct setup to:

1 - Record TV shows from Direct TV to Hard Drive

2 - Edit the commercials and Transfer the taped shows from hard drive to DVD-R to watch in various dvd players

There are many settings in the setup menu and would appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Bob

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Record TV shows from Direct TV to Hard Drive
Hey did you lose your manual? ;)

OK, so through L1 (or L2, L3), you get pictures right? Press HDD on your remote (DVD if you want to record to the DVD-R directly), and press record the moment you want to record (make sure you are at the recording speed you want). Make sure you don't turn channel on your Sat receiver while recording. It doesn't work like a tuner. You have to stay with the channel you're recording.

You can also set the timer record on your E80 but make sure you also set the timer on your sat receiver.

So now after recording, you have a program or a set of programs on your HDD. Press Direct Navigator and you see the list of program(s) you recorded. You can edit out the commercial in two ways:

1. Directly on the Direct Navigator:

Press HDD if you're not already there. Press Direct Navigator and you see your list. Stroll down on your remote to the program you want to edit. Hit the right arrow and you see different editing options (e.g., enter title, divide program, shorten program, erase program). Let say your timer recording started too early so you want to get rid of the junk in front. Choose the divide option for this. Now you're in a different screen (the editing screen). Fast forward to the point you want divide. Hit divide. If you are having problem hiting the exact point you want to divide, once it's in the pause mode, you can hit the left and right arrow and it'll move what appears to be frame by frame (I'm sure it's not but it's good enough). Anyway, play around with it. Once you have divide the program, highlight the first program that contain only the unwanted material. Delete it by choosing the erase button the remote or going into the "erase program" option.

OK, to get rid of commercials within the program, choose the shorten program option. Now you're in the edit screen once more. You'll see on the right "start", "end", "next" adn "exit."

Forward to the start of the commercial and hit "start". Again, you can pause to get it right. Now forward to the end of the commercial and hit "end". If done, go to exit, if there's another commercial, hit "next." It'll ask you if you want to erase selected segment or something like that. It is referring to the segment between the start and end point. Say yes. Repeat until you finish editing.

2. Editing using the playlist. Hit "playlist" on your remote. Enter the program you want to edit. Here you are choosing the segment you want with the start and stop. So at the start of the program, hit start and at the point when the commercial comes on, hit stop. There's no erasing involve here so you won't be asked to erase segment. It'll just automatically go to the next start and stop point. Even though you edit your program on the playlist, the orginal is still intack in the direct navigator, commercials and all, unlike option 1 above.

To dubb to your DVD-R. Hit HDD if you're not already there. Hit function. Find dubbing and hit enter. Now you have a screen that's pretty much self explanatory. Go to the box in the middle and hit enter. Select the program(s) you want to dubb and hit enter. If it's the playlist you want to dubb, hit the right arrow and it'll move from programs to playlist. Select playlist and hit enter. OK, stroll down to dubb speed. Hit enter and select the speed you want to record (XP, SP, LP, EP, FR). Hit start. The E80 has 2x speed dubbing so look up your manual to see how that's done if time is an issue.

Once done, you can only play it on your recorder unless it's finalize. Hit DVD on your remote. You can hit direct navigator to see what has been recorded on your DVD-R. Got to function. Hit disc setting. Everything there is self explanatory. Finalize it. That's it. It's hard to take all this in unless you mess with it. You'll find tricks and new ways of doing things. There are many options of doing some of the things I've decribed.

There's a manual for all of this so I won't go more into it. Just have fun with it :).

Thanks for all of your help!

I was able to record , edit and dub today. I will keep practicing and hopefully not have too many coasters!

Bob

My Panasonic DMR-E80 shuts off on me when watching tv. This has happened twice today. I've had it for less than a week.

I have it connected with Direct TV and my receiver.

Can anyone please help with this problem and has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Bob

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My Panasonic DMR-E80 shuts off on me when watching tv. This has happened twice today. I've had it for less than a week.
I have combined this with your existing thread. Please use this thread to discuss all issues regarding your DMR-E80.

What is the unit doing when this happens? If the answer is "nothing", then I suspect you're running into the "auto power-off" function, which is covered on pp. 14 and 44 of your manual.

M.

I have the Panny DMR-80 and have had much success High Speed Dubbing from HDD to DVD-R (Using Comp USA Media).

Last night I was dubbing six 21 minute edited episodes recorded at SP and after the completing episode one the dubbing just stopped. I tried again and it stopped again. Finally I was able to dub 4 episodes.

Can anyone please explain what happened (I received no error message)

So far I have dubbed around 10 with out this problem and was able to fit six episodes on one dvd-r!

Thanks,

Bob

I also had the same problem again tonight - I tried other media and started dubbing (It says 59 minutes, then keeps stopping at the 53 minute mark)

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
So does it work on regular speed?

How heavily loaded is your HDD? Are you close to maxing out?

I tried another new blank dvd-r (comp usa) tonight and it worked! It seems that maybe I had a few bad discs?

I record 6 episodes to hdd then high speed dub to dvd-r.

Thanks,

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks