Panasonic CT27D12D Problems (I think)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MattStills, Jan 21, 2003.

1. MattStills

MattStills Auditioning

I recently bought a Panasonic CT27D12D and it seems to be a great regular tube (3-line digital filter looks great, and for $300 it was a good value). However, I have found two things that are quite annoying to me. I'm not sure if this is normal with tube tvs because my previous set was a Sony Wega.

1. The corners of the screen (very noticeable if the screen is pure white) are darkened. For some reason the upper right is a tan color while the other corners are black. It's not noticeable unless the screen is mostly white but it is always there I can tell. Not sure if I'm describing this well enough... sorry.

2. The set emits a buzz that overcomes the volume when watching TV. When using the component and s-video inputs I don't notice the buzz (it may still exist... I'll check that now).

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. MattStills

MattStills Auditioning

There must be somebody who has experienced similar problems?

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hi Matt:

Believe it or not, I have this unit underneath my kitchen table, still in its shipping carton, unopened. It was given to me at an office holiday party. I'm sure it's a good set.

Don't know about the darkening in the corners, but that buzzing noise you describe is sometimes the result of having the contrast set really high (as in to the max) while you're also receiving a very strong signal that is itself not ideally adjusted.

Reduce your contrast to a much lower level and see what happens.

JB

4. Mike Hamilton

Mike Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

The discoloration can be attributed to a few things:
    The set does not have the purity magnets adjusted properly
    or
    It needs additional spot magnets in places where the discoloration is prevelant
    or
    The contrast is up way too high and the set is blooming into Yellow-ish (also tan-ish)discoloration. This may be a chore to fix or track down, as displays such as this usually use a bonded yoke and the adjustments necessary may not be able to be performed.

The buzzing noise you hear...is it worse when there is a fair amount of text on the screen and watching the tuner? It is likely the flyback transformer making its presense known. It is oscillating at 15.754Khz, and the silicone will help damp it.
    You could go into the set, and gop a good amount of silicone on it to damp it. This will help to silence it or eliminate it comepltely.

5. MattStills

MattStills Auditioning

The noise is louder when watching cable TV (for instance, my AT&T has a bar that comes up with text on it to say the station and program and the noise is louder when that is up).

Messing with the brightness and contrast doesn't eliminate or dampen the corner discolorations...

I'm very angry now because I've now hauled:

a 27" Wega out of my room and downstairs
    another model Panasonic upstairs (only to find that there is a ton of video static when using the inputs) and right back down and into my car

finally I got this one... and all seemed well until I was playing a game with a white loading screen and noticed horrid discoloration in the corners.