Panasonic (CT-26WX15) VS Sony (KV-30HS420) + Questions

Discussion in 'Displays' started by john_kassimatis, Oct 3, 2005.

1. john_kassimatis

I read somewhere that you shouldn't try to enter the HD market cheaply, and I've certainly learned that.

Now, I am looking purchase an HDTV. I am looking at the Panasonic CT-26WX15 or possibly a Sony KV-30HS420.

From what I have read and understand, the Panasonic only supports 480p/1080i, but not 480i/720p - is that correct? I would assume that it up-scales the resolutions it doesn't support (720p -> 1080i)? Would that cause any problems or iregularities with the image? Why wouldn't it support everything, just cheaper not to?

The Sony supports all the formats as far as I can tell. It's a bigger TV (30") and comes with a higher price of course. From what I've read, everyone loves the sony.

Any suggestions or recommendations? My basic requirements are HD/Direct View/HDMI/

2. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Sony KV-30HS420 looks excellent. If you have the money, there's an even better model, the KD-30XS955. It has built in HD, cable card, the new 32-bit GUI & menu system (settings are remembered per input) and the Super Fine Pitch tube, TWICE the pixels of the Panasonic (which is a good TV).

Sony supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i. The XS supports 720p natively (no internal upscaling).

The Sony HS is sharper than the Panasonic, with richer, more accurate colors.

3. john_kassimatis

So, since the Sony HS and the Panasonic do not support 720p natively, do they upscale it to 1080i?

I am starting to lean towards the KD-30XS955, which a few people have suggested. It's higher than I wanted to go, but it seems like a good investment.

4. john_kassimatis

I've read some reviews on the KD-30XS955 and some people have had issues with the power supply dying after a short while.

Any problems?

5. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Hm. First I've heard of it (power supply problems).

It comes with a year warranty parts & labor. I have a five year extended warranty on my XBR (which is a souped up XS). Any TV these days it's a good idea to get one.

The Sony HS will accept a 720p signal and upscale it. Panasonic, I'm not so sure if it will accept a non pre-scaled 720p signal (like from a cable box). 2004 Panny sets would not accept an HD signal that wasn't 1080i.

6. john_kassimatis

Here is a weird question..

Do these Sony's have the horizontal lines going across the screen if you look closely? I remember in older Sony's (SD) you could see 2 lines going across, which drove me insane..

7. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Yes, the lines (CRT supports) are there, HOWEVER you need to be looking for them about 2 feet away with a solid bright colored background. Which means they are invisible to normal viewing.