Panasonic CP72 changer = Panasonic RP-82 single?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Susilo, Sep 6, 2002.

1. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

Quick question, is the video quality of Panasonic CP-72 changer is equivalent of RP-82 single DVD player? I want to buy the RP-82 but unwilling to have silver coloured unit amongst all-black units in the house. Since 82 doesn't come in black, I'll go for the CP-72 but only IF the internal is identical to the 82.

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Just so ya know, the CP72 is not available North of the border.

3. David Sim

David Sim Agent

I'm pretty sure if he truly wants it, he can order it somewhere. [​IMG]
    I am curious as to the answer of this question also.
    I would like to get the RP82 to replace my old 2 tray Toshiba but I have grown used to the multiple CD thing.
    Is the CP72 pretty much the same thing as the 82 with a 5 disk tray?
    I have compared them side by side on the Panasonic web site and the only difference I found was as follows:
    RP82:
    Audio D/A Converter 8-ch, 192kHz/24-bit
    Digital Re-Master Processing 3-Mode
    CP72:
    Audio D/A Converter 192kHz/24-bit
    The 72 does not have 8ch conversion or 3 mode digital remastering?
    What does this mean?
    Will I be sacrificing too much in the sound quality department so I don't have to get off my ass as often?

4. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

The two players are the same except for the following differences:

The CP72 does not have audio digital remastering.
    The CP72 does not have coaxial audio out.

Other than those two things, the audio and video sections are identical.

The audio digital remastering converts 44.1/16 CD audio to 88.2/24, and has three modes of sound shaping. Fun to play with, but hardly necessary.

5. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

So, is everybody saying that the video quality is the same. The mpeg decoder is the same?

6. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Yes, same MPEG decoder, same Sage/Faroudja FLI2200 deinterlacer. This was confirmed by opening both units.

7. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

Wait, if the video processing is the same, how come panny's web site lists only the RP91 and RP82 as the models which do 4:4:4 processing. The CP72 doesn't...

8. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all DVD players do 4:4:4 processing. Probably just an omission on the site.

9. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

some players are doing 4:2:2, some are 4:4:4 and some are (if I'm not mistaken) 8:8:8

10. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

11. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

Walt, I'm still not completely convinced. The link you provided was from a vendor's site, and they specifically mentioned that the CP72 records the luminance data, then double THAT on the color signals to acieve a 4:4:4 balanced output. Sounds like a 4:2:2 signal that is post-processed to make up for not sampling the color signals at the same rate as the luminance signal.
    See this link, courtesy of John Kotches in another thread on the chroma bug.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ug-4-2001.html
    Most worrisome of the stuff I've read, though, is from Panny's own site.
    They clearly say that only the rp91 and rp82 sample at 4:4:4, natively, I assume, and without the need for upconversion. Look at the model specs here. This would seem to allow for possibilities of errors during upsampling.
    http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...goryid=%202977
    This may all end up being an academic exercise, as I was hoping to get SACD and DVD-A in one neat package, and the rp82 has no SACD [​IMG] Of course, this is a tough time to opt for a universal player, with so many new models being rumored to arrive shortly.

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

So these 72 and 82's have the MPEG decoder of the RP-91 and the de-interlacer of the RP-56? Sounds perfect.

13. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

Ron,

I think you're worrying about nothing. First, Panasonic's website is notorious for for wrong information (hence the misinformation about the RP-82's zoom abilities). Second, the Panasonic MPEG decoders have never had chroma upsampling errors (even the cheaper ones) which is why they are used in other players (ie: Denon 1600). Both units do 4:4:4.

As far as combo audio players (SACD and DVD-A) are concerned, there were a few of them at CEDIA (Onkyo, Marantz and Pioneer). They were all pretty pricey though. I'm hoping to see a lot more at CES in January.

14. Ron S

Ron S Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    Thanks for the heads up about Panny's site. Wasn't aware of the fact that they have a history of misinformation. Explains a lot, though. Like why tons of rp91 users weren't jumping up and down for joy to find an inexpensive more modern unit that does the scaling they need [​IMG] AND why a unit that posesses the same de-interlacing chip and mpeg decoder isn't listed as doing the same 4:4:4 [​IMG]
    As for the chroma unsampling error, I was aware that the panasonics didn't have it. Heck, that's one of the reasons I went for the rp56 a year ago. The link to the unsampling error page was intended to demonstrate how the 4:2:2 sampling gets converted to 4:4:4, though. Haven't seen another site that had as much technical detail splained in little words that I could understand, hehe. Thought that perhaps the CP72 sampled at 4:2:2 and "displayed" at 4:4:4 after upconverting it. Sounds like you're pretty sure about it, so I'll take the word of someone more learned than me!
    Although I'm awfully close to getting separate DVD-A and SACD units and splitting the signal into the one set of analog inputs on my receiver, I'm trying valiantly to keep my credit card in my pocket [​IMG] I'll take Keith's suggestion and try to hold out hope for the 47Ai or Onkyo/Integra. Marantz? Hmm, more research...
    [​IMG]

15. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

What the heck is 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 and does it have anything to do with 3:2 pulldown?

16. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Well according to that same vendor the RP82 also upsamples the color data. I think this just a case where there is a lot of misinformation out there.

There is nothing wrong with 4:2:2 if it is compensated for correctly. If the units don't show the chroma bug then there is little reason to debate if it does 4:4:4 or 4:2:2.

Now if the RP82 and CP72 have essentially the same guts is open for debate. I can get the black one locally so I just may go that route.

17. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

So we don't have that model in Canada?

18. Todd_Petersen

Todd_Petersen Stunt Coordinator

So the Panasonic 72 does not have the Chroma Bug?

19. Todd_Petersen

Todd_Petersen Stunt Coordinator

I work at Circuit City and my boss is going to let me return my Sony DVP-700 DVD player since it is horrible. I have some guys that work in the Video Department that tested out alot of the DVD players and they all said the Zenith DVB216 for 129.00 seemed the best regardless of price. Does anyone have any comments on this Player, im a little hesitant since its a zenith. I was orignally looking that the Panasonic 72s 5 disc changer but its way more money. Also does anyone know if the Zenith has the Chromo bug, im sure it doesnt since they all liked the picture at work.