Panasonic CP72 Blows JVC XV-S500BK AWAY!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonLC, Dec 4, 2002.

1. JasonLC

JasonLC Stunt Coordinator

Well last week I posted a thread asking whether or not is was worth upgrading my JVC XV-S500BK DVD player to the Panasonic CP72 5 Disc Changer. No one answered me so I got very antzy and just went to One Call and grabbed me one for $228 shipped - $30 Mail In Rebate = $198. The reason I decided to upgrade was the fact that I felt the JVC had a little to soft of a picture and no matter how much I turned the sharpness up I couldn't get it as sharp as I know DVD can get on my Toshiba 57H81. I received the Panasonic CP72 today only 2 days after ordering it from One Call and immediately hooked it up with my cheap thin component cables that originally came with the JVC. (New Acoustic Research Component cables coming tomorrow to make sure there is plenty of shielding and strong signal from DVD Player to HDTV). I started off by popping in Ice Age in and going to the chapter with the crazy weezle in it. The clarity, sharpness, and colors blew me away and it was verrrry close to a 1080i HD signal. As a I was going through chapters I decided to go in the setup and see what the picture settings were at and it was still in interlaced mode! I switched it to progressive mode and noticed a brighter, slightly clearer, and no visible scan lines. I found the best picture settings overall for FILM based DVD to be Normal and Auto 1. I also tried and MP3 CD and the mp3's sound almost CD quality at 160kbps and higher through the optical digital output. I also tried a standard SVCD and it loaded up instantly and even showed SVCD on the disc label! Perfect VCD, SVCD, KVCD playback and the player is very tolerant on variable bit rates and resolutions etc. I find the disc tray to open and close fairly quietly and the DVD load time is just as fast the JVC was which is under 5 sec. Moving between menus was very fast and responsive. I haven't had a chance to try the DVD audio out, but I am sure it is good also. The Dolby Digital and DTS through the optical output seem a little clearer and more slightly richer then my JVC was. I also tried Austin Powers In Goldmember on it and like everyone else with this player I couldn't rewind, fast forward, or pause with this DVD only. Does anyone know why? My final judgement is that the Panasonic CP72 is a big improvement from my JVC XV-S500BK or any JVC DVD player in overall sharpness and richness of colors. I also felt the CP72 puts out slightly clearer sound from DVDs through the optical output. The CP72 also has many more features overall including RANDOM MP3 playback and it shows the full MP3 filename on the TV screen which the JVC couldn't do either. I highly recommend this wonderful all around Panasonic CP72 DVD player, and at this time I don't think you can beat its video or audio performance for $198 shipped after rebate!!!
    [​IMG]

2. Matt Odegard

Matt Odegard Stunt Coordinator

Agreed! I've had my 72 for a few weeks and love it! I had a 45A and the 72's picture blows it away! Plus its $200 after rebate for me so its less than half the cost, which is a big bonus.

3. Arnold_R

Arnold_R Stunt Coordinator

I also ordered the Panny CP72 based on the reviews here. I should be getting mine tomorrow. J&R had these on sale for $199 less $30 rebate. I think after the rebate total cost will be less than $180. I can't wait til mine comes in tomorrow according UPS tracking.

Arnold

4. Matt Odegard

Enjoy! You won't be disapointed.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

It's amazing how cheap the 'CP72 is these days. It looks to be a steal at under $200. The only issue that concerns me about this player is the talk here recently about it being one of the Panasonic players that is unable to access surround-sound DVD-Audio tracks on recent Warner discs.

6. Matt Odegard

Wouldn't know about that yet, as I don't have a 5.1 setup, YET[​IMG]. But, the issue for me is PQ. My ears aren't as precise as my eyes. So I need clean picture and I definatelly get it with the 72.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Matt said:

8. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

hmm,thats strange,I just got the JVC XVS502SL and it just smokes my older Toshiba 3108.Maybe its because Im also using a JVC RPTV,and the 2 work together well,its twice the player my old Tosbiba was,and I liked it a lot,of course it wasnt progressive.