What's new

Panasonic CP-72: HO2 error (1 Viewer)

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
I just got this error code this morning. It won't read any discs or open the tray. I just did a google search and from what I'm reading its not good, the optical pickup is dead. :frowning:

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
I've been reading about this issue a lot lately. Seems to be a problem with quite a few different Panny models including the RP91. In most cases, the players are out of warranty by the time the failure occurs. But as common as it appears to be, I think Panny should own up to it and at least offer a discount coupon or some type of rebate to the affected owners.

-Steve

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I've been reading all morning about people's problems with their Panny's. I bought mine 1/03 so I'm still under the parts warranty, but still have to pay labor :frowning:
I'm so upset that this up til now excellant DVD player crapped out on me.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
It failed right on schedule. I've read many reports on the forums where most CP-72s (also RP62s) fail after about 8-9 months of use.

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, that's what I've been reading. I called the local repair shop which is 70 miles away and since the parts are covered under warranty, the labor is $70, but the shop is so backed up that it will be 4 weeks until I get it back.

The funny this is that when I mentioned H02 error he immediately replied with "you got a panasonic dvd player, huh?"

matt-f

Second Unit
Yeah I've read about this issue too. When I bought my RP-82 within about a 30 day return peorid, an H02 error showed up once. What I did was I exchanged it right away without hessitation since I didn't want to take chances. It's about a year now since I had the unit and it works like a charm. The unit has been in light use through out the year. I would say, up to 4 hours a week.

I actaully happend to send my RP-56 for repair for an on going problem for a year and I finally decided to get this unit to the Panasonic Service Center for repairs. I was suprized that they repaired the unit so fast since it was fixed the same day. Bascially there was an issue with it not being able to play CD-R/RW for some werid reason. Also intermitly cannot read dvds. When the player keeps attempting to read the disc, you hear the heads move like crazy, and it makes some crashing sound on the inside and also the disc was spinning very fast as well. Also the door stopped like twice for no reason either.

What they did? They changed both the optical pickup and spindle motor assembly and updated the firmware. When I tested it, the unit is working perfectly the way it's suppose to be before the year of issues. I would say that it worked better when I first obtained the unit because the optical pickup moves and responds quicker than that of the old part resulting in overall improved performance.

I'm lucky because I only had to pay labor since the technicians didn't charge me for the parts. It was a suprize to me because I was initially thinking that I was going to pay accoding to the estimate of $124 dollars, with $45 dollars already paid up front earlier for the diagnostic fee(for the techs to find out what's wrong with it) which is included in the estimate. I just had to pay the rest($19.95) of the labor which added to the total of 70.67 (tax in) for the repair. I decided to look up parts prices at home after I took teh unit home and found out that the total would of been 100 extra. Maybe because I kept my unit in very good condition(the ad thing which is on top of the unit is also there, hasn't been unfolded.) The unit is just over two years old and now it's just like new since mechnical parts have been replaced.

Maybe you guys can talk to the techs to see if they can cut you a deal and just charge you the labor only.

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
well I took the advice of someone over at avsforums and opened up the case and gave the disc a spin with my finger. Powered it back up and it worked like a charm.

matt-f

Second Unit
Hopefully teh issue won't happen again. If it does it consistantly, then probably sending it to the Panasonic Service center would be recommended to get optical pickup and the spindle motor assembly replaced so it will be just like new.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Watch out. Many have reported that the Panasonic Service centers don't want to repair the CP72 units due to cost and instead ship you a replacement with a newer inferior (no Fardoujda) model.

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
I read that too, that's why I contacted an authorized repair shop instead of Panasonic themselves. But like I said I fixed it myself for now, hopefully it won't do it again.

matt-f

Second Unit
Interesting to hear that Panasonic may do that(give you no faroudja). The Panasonic Service Center I went to (Kent, WA), they have two CP-72 and a RP62 refurbished in the warehouse for sale. I didn't check the serial for the CP72 so I won't know if it has Faroudja or not but I do know the RP62 does as the serial has an A and not B.

Steve_Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
Just got the H02 error message on my RP-82 I bought from Crutchfield. I will have to pay for the labor to repair it.

Can someone recommend a replacement that is an equivalent of this model?

Thanks,

Steve

DaleBesh

Stunt Coordinator
My Panny '72 just failed 2 weeks ago. At the time I thought it would be a waste to get an extended warranty but did anyway for about $24. Adds one more year.
My Panny went out at 13 mos. I did not get the HO2 error but the display would read NOPLAY...yeah, NO S#IT!
It would play for a few minutes then I would get black horizontal bars across the screen, then it would freeze.
Anyway, Philips is sending me an a new F85 which I will sell cheap to a friend.
Meanwhile I am enjoying a new Pioneer DV-563A.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW, my RV-31 just ran into similar problems today while playing The Two Towers extended edition. Grrr. Finally got it open by pressing the Open button and giving the player a good hard knock. Interrupted once more before the 1st disc was over. The unit is 2+ years old, so at this point it's good bye and good riddance to panasonic.

Andrej

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks