Panasonic cheap decoders?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChrisLazarko, Aug 26, 2003.

1. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I had owned a Panasonic reciever before and I just noticed that the DD and DTS decoders were basically junk. Does Panasonic usually include such cheap parts in there products?

I have seen people say there DVD players are also not that great and some of their other products. I know there cheapest Home Theater's In A Box are just plain awful as well.

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Gee Chris, could you clarify your feelings about Panasonic, cuz I'm still a little fuzzy on them.....[​IMG]

Oh, and how do you know their decoders are "junk"?

And could you expand on why some of their HTiB's are "awful".

LJ

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Chris,

For the last 5 years I've been using a Panasonic SH-AC500D decoder (DD/DTS) in my $15,000+ HT system (and I only payed $200 for it new).

Junk? No, quite the contrary. I get excellant detail and impact from DD-5.1 and DTS-5.1 sources.

This kind of trash talk helps no one, and it certainly shows you don't know much about the technology.

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Amen to Lance and Bruce! I have owned a Panasonic A110 DVD player (1998) and is still being used in my bedroom before being replaced by a Pioneer Elite in the main room. I have had zero problems with the unit and it is as sharp today as was 4-5 years ago. I can throw any disc at it and it plays the disc perfectly, be it a DVD+R,-R, etc. The decoding on that player in both DD and DTS is top notch.

5. ChrisLazarko

Well the reason I say this is because I have had several products in the past before from them and I am wondering if they use cheaper decoders and parts in there products that can make them so affordable. My DVD player also had broke from them only 3 months ago so I had to go buy a new one as well as my reciever from them. I also once had a VCR a while back that broke, but that had lasted for a few years.

I have treated everything with very good care and have not abused them. I also noticed on my reciever (SA-HE70) that when playing a DD5.1 signal on it, the channels would kind of blend together more or less.

The same thing happened on my uncles system with his Panasonic Home Theater In A Box. The center channel pans out across the left and the right channel as well.

I just don't have much respect for Panasonic products which is why I was wondering and there technical support was also somewhat nasty to me and I was being very nice.

I'm not trying to make myself look bad or say I don't know anything but just from the problems I have had in the past. I hope you don't think i'm a jerk or anything or disrespecting anyone but I just don't have high regard for Panasonic so I was curious.

I am sorry if this is offense to anyone but I was only curious.

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Chris,

The text and tone of your last response should have been the original post. It is much more descriptive. Sorry you've seen so many problems, all brands have these problems, just seems like you saw more than your share from Panasonic.

Better luck on your next selections.

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

It's unfortunate you have had some bad luck with a few components and what you seem to say is lack luster performance with the others.

I like Bruce, also have a 500 Technics DTS, DD, decoder built by Panasonic. An excellent product that far out performs it's price and (my expectations). Mag reviews stated the same thing, an excellent piece of equipment with astounding decoding quality, and useful features.

I can't speak for the 70 receiver you have, but the 100 and 200 are excellent performing receivers. They use the Cirrus chip if I remember correctly. The amp sections are shocking strong at their price point and most that own them speak very highly of them.

All companys at some point produce a product/s that could be called a lemon prone to bring problems some where with something. You have every right to not care for Panny due to your experiences thus far with their products.

Your certainly not the only one to feel the way you do about a certain company, others have had the same feelings and problems with different brands. They think and feel just like you. Have heard it about H/K, Sony not ES, and Pioneer just on this forum alone.

Glad to see you where able to get your Panny feelings out in the open! [​IMG]

Hope the next electronic what ever you purchase, treats you well! [​IMG]

Regards
    Geoff

8. ChrisLazarko

Don't get me wrong I like Panasonic but it seems like every product I have bought from them has been replaced. The HE70 reciever is no longer on the market, it has been replaced with the 75.

My DVD player was also replaced with another model that was the same exact thing but somewhat different.

Well everything upgrades with time, I like there TV's though!

9. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Just about every consumer electronics company refreshes it's models once per year. I can pretty much guarantee you that the SA-HE75 will be replaced next summer too!

You say Panasonic support was rude to you? I hope you didn't ask them if they use cheap components in their products. Kinda hard to be polite after being asked a question like that, don't you think?

10. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

I recently bought a Panasonic SCDP1 2 speaker "mini" or shelf system which is also a dvd player "open box" from Circuit City for $125 (plus a rebate to get a free Rush Hour 2 dvd). For a small bedroom, this would be all you would need. It is internally bi-amped/bi-wired to each of it's speakers. Also has DTS and Dolby Digital decoders on it (although I really don't see why it has them though, as it's almost unneccesary). It has a "phantom" or simulated surround mode that is actually very convincing. You would swear that there are speakers beside of you! It also plays DVD Audio! It has optical output to attach to another receiver. Even a subwoofer output! I like it, and it was well worth the $125 just as a DVD player.