What's new

panasonic bd85 to NON hdmi rca receiver audio help (1 Viewer)

jwelder3unc

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Hey guys, Got my bd connected to 3yr old RCA non hdmi 5.1 surround receiver via digital coax. I'm stumped on how to set up the bd player's audio. I can choose either bitstream or pcm. I chose bitstream, and a reg dvd sounded great but, on a bd, I had to set the disc to dvs 2.0 to hear anything. Do I need to set it up pcm and why? Also, what's the best way to set the player's audio for listening to netflix streamed movies?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I would think that Bitstream would work for BD too, but regular Dolby 5.1 surround. It may be that the disc is defaulting to the HD audio soundtrack, and you're not hearing it, because the HD audio isn't possible over digital coax or optical. Try manually choosing the regular Dolby 5.1 soundtrack, in the disc's menus. Or, as the actual movie is starting (not previews or extras), use the "Audio" button on the remote to choose the right soundtrack.

Netflix doesn't stream 5.1 surround yet, so you'll need to set it to PCM for those, and set receiver to Dolby Pro Logic II, for simulated surround for Netflix movies. I think they announced awhile back that they plan to start streaming in 5.1 later this year. We'll see.............

Good luck!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Many of today's Blu-ray discs come with DTS-HD MA audio encodes and don't include an English Dolby Digital encode of any kind. So if your receiver doesn't decode at least regular DTS then you need to tell it to convert the bitstream for DTS-HD MA to surround-encoded PCM.

There is a setting in the SETUP menu for your player which will allow you to do this.

The player will still provide DD 5.1 over optical via bitstream when that encode is available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks