What's new

Panasonic BD65: Have to select 24p mode for SD-DVDs every time? (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I just replaced my stuttering Sony 370 with the excellent Panasonic BD65. Great player!

But I have a question...

I have set up the HDMI output to use 1080/24p. Blu-Ray movies are always output at this format. Great.

Then I set the SD-DVD Video to output 24p and that also works great (and looks fantastic).

But if I power down the player and then put in a different SD-DVD, the 24p defaults to off again. Is there some way to set this to "auto"? It seems pretty annoying that I'd have to set this every time I want to watch a SD-DVD movie (of which I have MANY).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have a 720p projector hooked up to a panny BD65, and run into problems trying to keep the HDMI output at 720p. I found a workaround in that if I always turn my player off *before* I power down my receiver and projector, and then always turn it on *after* I power up my receiver and projector, it remembers the setting. Otherwise, it goes to "automatic" mode and outputs 1080i. I think its one of those "It's not a bug, it's a feature" situations where it looks for a supported format, and if it does not see it right away, switches the HDMI output to "automatic". Very annoying.

Originally Posted by soop.spoon

I just replaced my stuttering Sony 370 with the excellent Panasonic BD65. Great player!

But I have a question...

I have set up the HDMI output to use 1080/24p. Blu-Ray movies are always output at this format. Great.

Then I set the SD-DVD Video to output 24p and that also works great (and looks fantastic).

But if I power down the player and then put in a different SD-DVD, the 24p defaults to off again. Is there some way to set this to "auto"? It seems pretty annoying that I'd have to set this every time I want to watch a SD-DVD movie (of which I have MANY).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Jack,

The BD player's DVD upconversion frequency (24 or 60) depends on the *type* of DVD the player is upconverting.

Film-based DVDs can be upconverted to 1080p/24.

Video-based DVDs (TV shows and concerts) can only be upconverted to 1080p/60.

So you may not have a problem at all. It could just be that the DVD you inserted between sessions was determined to be "video-based".

FYI: I own that same player, and it will typically switch to 1080p/60 for video-based Blu-ray discs as well.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden

I have a 720p projector hooked up to a panny BD65, and run into problems trying to keep the HDMI output at 720p. I found a workaround in that if I always turn my player off *before* I power down my receiver and projector, and then always turn it on *after* I power up my receiver and projector, it remembers the setting. Otherwise, it goes to "automatic" mode and outputs 1080i. I think its one of those "It's not a bug, its a feature" situations where it looks for a supported format, and if it does not see it right away, switches the HDMI output to "automatic". Very annoying.

Ken,

I own the Optoma HD65 which is also a native 720p projector. This projector supports Blu-ray's 1080p/24 mode, so I set the Blu-ray player up for that mode and let the projector downscale the output to 720p. The result is *fantastic* and looks much better than using the Blu-ray player's 720p and/or 1080i mode. (Of course, the projector's internal scaling circuitry is optimized for downscaling 1080p/24.) You might at least try 1080p/24 and see how it goes ...

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
It switches perfectly well for Blu-Rays discs. A film will output at 24 and video-based material will be at 60. Here's the scenario where I see a problem:

1) Put in a SD-DVD film (I used THX-1138 and Apocalypse Now)

2) Change the Video output to 24p... Works great! and my TV verifies the incoming signal as 24p.

3) Turn off the player.

4) Turn on the player and put the same SD-DVD back in.

5) By default, it is outputting 60p until I manually switch it to 24p again.

Again, this doesn't happen with Blu discs. That setting holds well.

This isn't a deal-breaker... but it is pretty annoying.

Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus

Jack,

The BD player's DVD upconversion frequency (24 or 60) depends on the *type* of DVD the player is upconverting.

Film-based DVDs can be upconverted to 1080p/24.

Video-based DVDs (TV shows and concerts) can only be upconverted to 1080p/60.

So you may not have a problem at all. It could just be that the DVD you inserted between sessions was determined to be "video-based".

FYI: I own that same player, and it will typically switch to 1080p/60 for video-based Blu-ray discs as well.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jack:

Why don't you try

1) Put in a SD-DVD film.

2) Change the Video output to 24p and play the movie.

3) Turn off the monitor.

4) Turn off the player.

5) Turn the monitor back on.

6) Turn the player back on.

7) Put the disc back into the player and see if the the 24p settings are retained.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I have an older Panasonic BD player (BD35). In the owners' thread over at AVS forums, it was confirmed that this was an intentional design decision. I just did a quick search and found the following from that thread:

"After confirming with the factory they said that: it is designed that customers have to set the 24p setting for every standard DVDs, because some standard DVDs is made by 60i, then if the discs is played by 24p mode it can not be played smoothly. It is difficult for BD Player to judge standard DVDs 24p or not, so we forced customers to set for every DVDs. If we misunderstand your comment, please let us know in detail. So 24p works on some DVD disc, the one we tested here did not work. It will display 24p in the status window when DVD-Video playsback in 24p."

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Unfortunately, my Panny PTAE900U projector does not support any form of 1080p input. It also does not upscale 480i/p or downscale 1080i as well as my BD65 player, so I always have the player do the scaling.

Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus

Ken,

I own the Optoma HD65 which is also a native 720p projector. This projector supports Blu-ray's 1080p/24 mode, so I set the Blu-ray player up for that mode and let the projector downscale the output to 720p. The result is *fantastic* and looks much better than using the Blu-ray player's 720p and/or 1080i mode. (Of course, the projector's internal scaling circuitry is optimized for downscaling 1080p/24.) You might at least try 1080p/24 and see how it goes ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks