Panasonic - bad speaker maker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonas, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Jonas

Jonas Auditioning

I am trying to build a modest HT solution and looked at Panasonic SB-HEP20 5 speaker system. It is extremely low priced but looks kinda nice:
    http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audi...re/sbhep20.htm
    So far the comments I've found on the web are that Panasonic does not make good audio equipment, save speakers. Is this true, anyone can prove that or tell the oposite?
    Jonas

2. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

I agree that it does look nice. Make sure you listen to it first though. The specs they state there are all funky

"Frequency range: up to 50kHz, -16dB)" ??????? what the hell kind if a frequency range is that.

"High input power handling of 200W (Music)". Whay would it matter if it is music or anything else. A watt is a watt is a watt. Isn't it?

"DVD-Audio Ready"? Why because there are five speakers? Who are the ad wizards that came up with that one?

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Better pic's more info:
    Here: Panasonic speaks
    And here:Panasonic speaks
    Don't know if thats correct but at 80-db spl, better have some jucie. Take 30 watts just to get them jump started.
    Edit:
    You might look into the H/K speaker packages, the biggest, forget the model #, has been rated extremly high. It's very reasonable, very cheaply priced and the speakers are much larger.
    Geoff

4. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

What is your budget, Jonas?

What about the rest of your system?

*Specwise*, these speakers don't look too great. You may need a fairly powerful receiver/amp to get these guys at a volume that you like, especially if you have a large room.

As always, do listen to them, and do try to listen to other products in or around this price range before buying anything.

J

PS - Am I the only one who is amused by "DVD-Audio Ready" speakers (or any speakers, for that matter) which use freq. response up to 50+ kHz as a selling point sad/amusing?

5. Chad Sunderland

Chad Sunderland Stunt Coordinator

Check out a BestBuy store, I know my local BestBuy has several of the 5-speaker systems, and "Home Theater In A Box" systems set up for listening. Although I'm not shopping for a system, I was in BestBuy this weekend and played around with several of the HT in a box setups, and I actually preferred the Panasonic over the others...not that any of them sounded stellar though.

Chad

6. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Jason,

The reason they use that as a selling point is that DVD-A
    and SACD can play that high if it is recorded that high.
    Can you hear it? No.. Does that mean it has no effect on
    the sounds you do hear? No...

Overtones (sounds you can't hear) certainly do shape the
    sounds that you do hear.. It would be nice if all recordings
    and all equipment could faithfully reproduce 10Hz to 60Khz
    rather than 20Hz to 20Khz...

7. Joel_Ackerson

Joel_Ackerson Stunt Coordinator

Jonas,

I can help you out with you question about the Panasonic speaker's. I purchased a Panasonic Mini-System ST-HDA710 which is a DD/DTS/DVD-Audio system. The front two speaker's are SB-HDA710 which are tri-amplified by the main amplifier. It also came with a seperate amplifier for center and rear-surround channel's and speaker's like the one's in the picture(SB-HDX3). The center channel work's great with no distortion(small setting) and the rear's also work great(small setting). I use a Definitive Technology powered subwoofer with this system in my bedroom and it work's great together. I would say order them, try them out and see how they sound if you are really interested in them. I know when I listen to a DVD-Audio disc it sound's great.

Joel

8. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Brett:

Really? I do find that interesting! I guess you learn something new every 45 seconds or so :b

Is there somewhere I can find out about overtones and how this affects hearing?

J

9. Jonas

Jonas Auditioning

Me again,
    Thanx guys! Some valuable info. I acctually listened to these speakers hooked up to Panasonic digital AV receiver SA-XR10 + regural store DVD + Sony 100W sub, and we played Eric Clapton Audio DVD. It sounded very nice, there was some "space" to it, though I do know that I can not hear over 20Khz, the sound was somewhat different than on my biwired Panasonic mini center.
    My budget is around 500$ for speakers and another 500$ for receiver (Maybe the same Panasonic SA-XR10 - I posted in receiver section) Because I want to build a modest audio and HT system, my room a square - 20 m2 (I am from Europe, so how many feet that is?[​IMG]
    My problem is the set up as well. These or similar speakers need to be hooked on the wall and there a speakers with a stand and with a nicely concealed cable that can be moved arround and they are for the same or similar price, but do they sound better? Guess, I will just have to go by my ear[​IMG]
    I would still like to discuss that audio DVD hear-not hear thing[​IMG]

10. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

If they sound good to you thats important. The only thing wrong with many of these "entry level" speakers is short lifespan, if you dont crank em up and you dont play them 24/7 they do fine in the short term. It is amazing how good some of these sound they just dont take ANY abuse and typically they have short lifespans. . .
    If you are only going to watch a couple movies per week then at less than referance levels (good bit less) then dont worry about them. However if you want to listen at higher levels and more hours you may have to climb the ladder a little, there are some real good inexpensive speakers on the market.

11. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

sony's newer speakers are pretty decent for the price. they have new cone material, and pretty wide frequency range. I believe their 3-way bookshelf is 50-50khz for less than $100. I've listened to them, they are just as good as JBL, BOse, etc, although they did seem to lack in the midtones just a bit

12. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Jason,

The best place to find out about over and under tones would
    be a music composition related web site. I work with a
    colleague who was a music teacher we talked in great detail
    about how the sounds we can't hear, still affect the sounds
    we do hear. It's simple really, even if the sound is 30khz
    (which we can't hear) it is still moving air molecules and
    that has an effect on the molecules that are moving to the
    20Khz tone that we can hear (well, some of us... Most men
    can't hear much above 17Khz some can.. Some women can even
    hear as high as 26Khz)

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

For $500 you should have a few options to look at other then Panasonic. Try Fluance They're canadian and very reasonably priced...and they seem to get decent reviews from members here that have ordered them. Other then that maybe consider the Energy Take 5 system...AudioShop in Ottawa has them and they should be about in your price range as well. I was able to buy a pair of Paradigm Atoms for under $200 canadain so picking up three pairs of those would be an awesome setup. You could then add a sub later on to fill in the bottom end....its a little more money but that would be one of the better sounding options.