What's new

Panasonic AE200/300, Sony HS10, and Sanyo LP-Z1 (1 Viewer)

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys... I'd really like to gather some opinions here... these seem to be the "Big 4" as far as budget projectors go right now... I realize that all of these have just come out in Japan, but has anyone had a chance to see any one or more of these in person?
I guess what I'm really looking here is the AE200 vs. LP-Z1 and HS10 vs. AE300... almost certainly going to buy a projector soon (January?) ... about time to jump off the fence and go for it, just trying to gather up some info on these 4, since they seem to be the best stuff coming out for a while in this price range ($1500-2500 or so).
Anyone within a couple hours of Birmingham planning on getting one of these? I'd love to see one in person :D

Korey

Auditioning
John,
Try www.avsforum.com they have much more information on projectors.
I am personally waiting for some info on the Sharp XV-Z90U. Some dealers are getting this one in this week. ;)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I actually asked on AVS if anyone in my area has seen the AE300 or AE200 but haven't gotten a response yet. AVS has a large number of folks in the LCD projector forum so that is a good place to snoop for info. Its sporadic but you'll learn something if you check around enough.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
These are all potentially good projectors that many people can get into FPTV with. I await the reviews.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Ive been on AVS forum for months now... just lurking... I'm almost afraid to post. ;)
I just posted here too in case someone in the greater Birmingham area or perhaps Atlanta or some other place close was getting one but doesnt post on AVS... covering the bases, so to speak.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
How does the "Piano Avanti HE-3200" compare with these? Or is this one a next step up in the price range?

Ron Birk

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The Plus Avanti HE-3200 is an entry level DLP at the same pricepoint. Keep in mind the Spony HS10 has it beat on resolution (1366x768 vs 848x600) and also has it beat on brightness (1200 a.l. vs 450 a.l.) and even when you factor is dealer exaggeraion, it s still significantly higher.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
I'm still waiting for my Sony HS10. I should be another two weeks before I see it.

The clock is ticking but not fast enough.

Todd_B

Second Unit
John -- I've had my AE200 for a couple of weeks and absolutely love it :D
I'm feeding it w/a Panny RP82 --> component --> transcoder --> VGA onto a 80" DIY blackout screen.
This is my first fp setup, but I can say that I'm absolutely thrilled w/the picture. The picture is comparable to my ISF'd Tosh 40x81 and actually surpasses it in quite a few instances.
Screen door was handled via a slight defocus and the blacks aren't as deep as I would like, but this little machine makes for a great first pj.
Todd B

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
Todd-- how far are you sitting from the screen? I havent moved into my new place yet, so I can't be sure as to how far I can sit from the screen, but I think I'll probably end up with an 80" screen as well. Would be nice if I could manage a >1.5x screen width seating arangement...

Are there any vertical motion artifacts like what some are experiencing with the AE300? I wouldnt think so since scaling would be kept a minimum with the native resolution so close to that of the DVD soruce... plus I think that particular problem has to do with the AE300's anti-screendoor technology... but you never know.. any problems with any such artifacting?

Todd_B

Second Unit
Are there any vertical motion artifacts like what some are experiencing with the AE300?
I read about the vertical motion artifact, and if I really try I can see what I think is the artifact they are describing. No one that I've had over has said anything about this or the screen door.
I'm going to be painting my screen gray tomorrow and see if this helps w/the blacks.
So far I believe my money has been well spent :emoji_thumbsup:
Todd B

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Let us know the shade of grey you are painting the screen with and how things work out.

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm im new to the fp game and was seriously looking at the ptae100u .... 200 sounds awesome ........
one last question cause ive posted questions in regards to this projector and the tae100u ........
how far does the projector have to be away from the screen to have an 85" to 90" screen? ..... i really dont want to mount my projector.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The AE200 heads up my short list also. I think the AE200 is free of the vertical artifacts which plague the AE300. Nobody on AVS has mentioned the artifacts with respect to the AE200. The AE300 has the special "anti-screen door" technology which has a little something to do with that vertical artifact and the AE200 does not have the "anti-screen door" technology. Anyways, I hear the AE200 is much like the AE100 only it appears to have more even colour on the panels, more contrast and less screen door. For DVD's, the AE200 can't be beat for the price. At least not from P Japan right now. When it comes to the US, hopefully it won't cost too much more and will have a nice warranty.

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
John (and rbirk) - Don't leave the Piano off your list of contenders. I've been playing with the new HE-3200 for a few weeks now on a 92" Stewart Firehawk screen. The image is gorgeous. Neil pointed out two shortcomings of the Piano: its resolution and its brightness. The brightness is a non-issue IF you set it up in a mostly or completely darkened room. For watching movies in a dark room, the Piano is PLENTY bright. Plus, the lower light output is a major factor in giving it EXCELLENT black levels for this pricepoint.

As for the Piano's resolution, there's no getting around the numbers, and yes it is an SVGA-class machine. But thanks to its unique "dual-mode" panel, the Piano can display all 480 horizontal lines of a DVD with no scaling required, resulting in a beautiful, steady image. I am eagerly awaiting the HS-10 from Sony as it too sounds like a sweet machine, but whatever you decide, don't rule the Piano out without seeing it first. Try to demo your top contender(s) at length before purchasing. If you don't, you might regret it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks