Panasonic 53wx53 problem. Right Side is yellow on white backgrounds

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jon_Gregory, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Ok I have had my tv for about 1 week now. I have been loving it the entire time. I flipped on a hockey game and other completely white backgrounds and the last 3 or so inches on the right side of the screen seem to have a yellowish tint to it on the entire height of the tv. I do not notice this on anything but white backgrounds on that side. It is very noticeable and I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem. My sub sits about 2 feet away from the tv on this side. It is just the onkyo sub. Is this sub shielded and do I have it to close. I moved the sub away from the tv for a day and the yellow did not go away.

I was wondering if there was anyone with info on this before I called panasonic to come and take a look at it.

2. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

It could be a function of the STB or receiver (almost all quality home theater speakers will be sheilded). Do you see it with all video sources or just certain ones?

Some people here have had quality issues with Panny sets. I know I had to return the first 53WX53 I received because it was defective, but my second one was just fine.

If you have a store warranty, I wouldn't even bother trying to have it fixed. Return it for another set.

3. Jon_Gregory

Well I seem to notice it on my cable mostly and have not looked at any component inputs yet (DVD). But that is not to say it is not there, I just have not put up a completly white background on the dvd yet. I will do that later today from the DVE disc.

4. JoeRiley

JoeRiley Stunt Coordinator

It could be the set's convergence... try going into the service menu and touching it up.

www.panny.tv has good info on getting to the service menu and what to do.

5. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I had the same problem with my Panny 47. Its your convergence. My convergence wasn't holding, so the main board needed to be sent back to Panny for repairs.

Keep us posted.

6. Jon_Gregory

Ok, if it is the convergence, shouldn't it get somewhat better when I do the 9 point convergence. I know the user convergence is far from good, but the amount of yellow does not change when the user convergence is done. I noticed the yellow today when I set it up with DVE so it is across all inputs. The left side of the screen is perfect with no yellow.

I will try and get in the service menu and tweak the 64 point convergence soon so I can update this. If this is not the cause, what else could it be. It is not a bright yellow color that shows when the convergence is off. It is almost a yellowish-brown color. I was watching a black and white broadcast today and noticed it very well. Any other suggestions other than convergence.

Thanks,

Jon

7. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

Call Panny, better yet, call the store that you bought it from and return it if its not too late.

I would return it and get a refund or exchange.

Trust me, from my Panny lows and highs, you are better off returning the set and getting an new one.

I should had taken my own advice, but no. I ended up suffering for over an year with service calls after service calls.

Who knows how many service calls I will have, hopefully none.

Knock on plastic. [​IMG]