What's new

Panasonic 53wx42 question (1 Viewer)

Bill K

Auditioning
I need some help.
I've had the Panasonic 53wx42 for 3 weeks now and I've only done user menu tweaks and Video Essentials (wanted the set to settle). Before I venture into the Service menu, I thought I'd ask your opinion on some problems I have.
I'm playing DVD's on the Panasonic RP82 with Monster Component cables. The player is set to darker in Cinema 1 mode (someone here said Cinema 1 produced less edge enhancement, and lighter was, well, too light).
The problem is that the blacks in progressive mode seem brownish, and using VE, I can't get a good dark setting no matter how much I tweak the brightness and contrast levels(I lose way too much detail when black gets black). Also, only on the pluge pattern, I see a white ghost blur in the middle of the screen (popping in a THX Optimizer THX pluge test I don't see the white blur).
I also am finding images (faces, hair, fabrics) are losing their texture and becoming a smear of color in high contrast images. I think this is partly due to bad compression, but my current set up is really enhancing it. Of course, I'm very picky and most people don't see these problems unless I point them out. But now that I've pointed them out, girlfriend sees them all the time too.
I would love to hear what you all think might be the cause of my issues above. Can I fix these in the Service menu? This TV is under warranty and I'd hate to void that by poking thru the Service menu, when the TV might need to be replaced. Also, I intend to get it ISF'd but I don't want someone to come and not be able to fix the problems.
My current settings, which are in the general range of others with this TV, include: sharpness-0, SVM-off, Video NR-on, color temp-normal, natural color-off (on didn't seem to change anything), color matrix-SD (HD didn't seem to change anything).
Thanks Fellas,
Bill

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
the brownish hue is because your grayscale is off. i have the same TV and had the same problem - but i never noticed it until i saw what it looked like when fixed. there's no good way to fix your grayscale without the proper equipment. i sound like a broken record but - call gregg loewen or one of the other ISF calibrators and have them do your TV. you'll be amazed at the difference.

i used to run my RP82 in cinema 1 with video NR on my TV set to ON. post-calibration I run Normal with video NR off, the picture is sharp and clear enough now not to need noise reduction

Ming Wang

Agent
the brownish color might because gray scale is off, which probably can be corrected in service menu.

if you set sharpness right (should be fairly low, like 0-10), and still have the blur, it maybe bad focus or convergence. to adjust focus you need to open the set, but it's quite simple procedure. convergence can be adjusted in service menu, but the fine convergence is not very easy and quite time consuming.

Bill K

Auditioning
Thanks so much for your input guys.
I'm sure you understand how frustrating it is to get a new set and not know if the problems are fixable or not.
It makes sense that the greyscale is throwing off the black level, but I'm not too sure about the focus or convergence causing the pluge pattern white blur.
What about the images losing their texture and turning into a blotch of color? This is the most frustrating when watching DVD's. Anybody know what causes that and/or if it can be corrected?
Gregg Loewen or Michael TLV: Do you guys know what these problems are? Could they be corrected with ISF calibration by one of you, or do I need to get this set replaced with one that has a better "out-of-the-box" picture? I'd love to hear what you think.
Thanks evryone,
Bill

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys!!

As soon as I started to read your post I thought of Josh's set, then I read Josh's post :b

Anyways, brown blacks is most likely a result of a VERY BAD gray scale (as it was with Josh's set).

Your colors being blurred is 99% likely to be very poor focusing and convergence. Put in a Black and White DVD. What does that look like? I lot of red / white / blue rainbows and halos? Im betting so.

One of the reasons many people buy the Panny sets is because of their "cheap" price. Most of my Panny clients plan on calibrating it even before its purchase. Cheap TV plus a quality calibration = awesome value.

Regards

Gregg

Jimmy Gonzalez

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gregg,

I just purchased the same TV.(53XM43) I do notice a very slight brownish tint but my colors are no blurred. After letting the TV run for a couple of days and Avia My DVD's never looked better.

Now I was wondering if the TV looks great now, Imaging how it would look with a ISF calibration! So now I am thinking of getting one done.

Are you going to be in the Bay area soon? if so I will love for you to operate on my TV.

Jimmy

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Jimmy, I dont get to SF often. However, Mr Bob lives in your area. He can make it shine!

Regards

Gregg

Jimmy Gonzalez

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Gregg/Jeff.

How long should I wait before I call Mr. Bob? I just received the TV last Monday. Is there a break in period?

Thanks again.

Jimmy-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks